add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit USB

NathanPowell_
  • 33 months ago

i was wondering how i could turn my Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit license into a usb flash drive and the process i have to go through? i emailed PCpartpicker about it and they suggested to ask you guys in forums so i could get a good description. Thanks!

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

Rufus.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll try to break this down for you...not exactly sure what your specific use-case is here. In short a copy of Windows can be easily loaded onto a usb bootable drive or sd card for that matter.

The media in which you choose to install Windows is not really tied to the license. If you have a disc with a authentic key that hasn't already been used on another machine then you should be fine to do the following.

Basically you need to be on another windows machine to do this.

Google "Windows Media Creation Tool" and you'll get this link or one like it. I think they'll give you the option of a usb or iso file. I normally choose the iso file and then use a program called rufus to create a bootable usb media but the usb option from microsoft is probably fine.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

There are a number of videos on youtube that cover this subject.

If the key has already been activated on another machine and you are attempting to move that key to another machine then there may be ways of doing that, but they may violate the Microsoft terms of service and may not be able to be discussed on this open forum. Those things would involve registry alterations to deactivate your key...I've not attempted it so have no idea if it would work.

If the key has already been activated and you are doing repairs (hard drive swap) then what you would do is simply install Windows 10 and choose not to activate it and once get through the setup process it should activate it for you. Likewise if you were doing a motherboard swap your copy of Windows 10 may not be able to be reactivated if it was a OEM/builders copy...but that wouldn't stop me from trying it first. Microsoft is moving more to a "account" level concept but they still marry everyone to their board and a mobo swap essentially means it's end of life. This is why there is a "RETAIL" and a OEM/Builder" copy....the retail copy can be reused over and over where as a OEM in theory cannot.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube