• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

DarkHelmet88 2 months ago

apologies if this has already been asked, and if so, please direct me to the correct thread if its not too much hassle... but... is the freeware ver of AVG antivirus good enough for everyday browsing and usage? what i mean is, not doing anything crazy or clicking any random popups...just normal usage. its good enough right? so far its been ok, but i still cant help but think is it enough?

Comments Sorted by:

Entrainers 2 points 2 months ago

I believe its plenty. I'd also get Malwarebytes free

pegotico 2 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

I believe its plenty.

Then.. why this?

I'd also get Malwarebytes free

seems contradictory..

Entrainers 2 points 2 months ago

Its plenty for real-time protection, but have Malwarebytes do the scans since they pick up different things AVG won't.

pegotico 2 Builds -2 points 2 months ago

Its plenty for real-time protection

It is plenty...

but have Malwarebytes do the scans since they pick up different things AVG won't.

but now its not.. sounds funny :)

Entrainers 3 points 2 months ago

One is real time protection, the other is a backup.

It is plenty for this, but not for that. So here is something for that.

Not too hard of a concept

CharlieLidbury 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

Yea, but the OP specified for all his malware needs,

so AVG isn't plenty is it :)

madmurdock 2 points 2 months ago

Just use Windows Defender. I've used everything from AVG, Avast, Bit Defender... Windows Defender does the job, and doesn't annoy you with a crappy interface, ads, pop-ups, etc..

Beddah 1 point 2 months ago

Yes.

TheShadowGuy 1 point 2 months ago

Generally you also want to run a scan now and then with something like Malwarebytes, Comodo Cleaning Essentials, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, or Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, etc. just to help catch things that slip through.

There are other things you can do as well, like backing up your data regularly.

DarkHelmet88 submitter 1 point 2 months ago

thx for the advice fellas, can never be too safe!

TrotTiger 1 point 2 months ago

What is good to use for an older windows XP machine?

Ice44 1 Build 5 points 2 months ago

"upgrade to a newer OS" pretty sure that one is good

KarmAngel 1 point 2 months ago

YES! The best out there!

I have AVG too and it does an excellent job indeed. More than any other free anti virus i had. In fact, it does other cool features, besides protecting virus/malware

KarmAngel 1 point 2 months ago

Also, it protects you from those random pop ups and not safe sites. By 2 different ways.

1, can block the pop ups and ask (before you entering this specifically site) if you still want to access that site even though it's not safe.

2, if somehow you click on some pop ups or access to those "not safe sites" and perhaps, you came across any virus/malware, AVG immediately alerts you and moves those virus/malwares to quarantine.

Obviously, doesn't protect you of any exe.file that is intended to damage the computer.

LostElement 3 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

From what I gather, AVG is better for browser and internet security. Sure, you can do a system scan, but it's not that great. Malewarebytes is fantastic. You get a 14 day premium trial which offers excellent protection. After that, it's basic scans and such that help prevent malware.