add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Loiking for advice on psu

Threna
  • 31 months ago

As I started putting together a parts lost for my pc I've found a host of wonderful articles explaining pc parts and what you need but I havnt as yet found a good set of resources on psus all I've heard is double your max estimated wattage so I've come looking for advice or any information on how to select the right psu for my pc -usa PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $322.88 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.89 @ OutletPC
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $5.84 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - Z270 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $126.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $162.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.99 @ B&H
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.87 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card $554.98 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master - Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case $149.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $129.89 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link - TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $9.88 @ OutletPC
Monitor AOC - G2460VQ6 24.0" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor $149.98 @ B&H
Keyboard Logitech - G910 Orion Spark Wired Gaming Keyboard $128.49 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse $50.00
Headphones Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel Headset $39.99 @ Best Buy
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2052.64
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $2002.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-01 15:43 EDT-0400

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 3 points

If you really want to know the how, then you need to be able to look at and understand proper PSU reviews. And if you want to do that effectively (i.e being able to examine and compare each part of the review, not just the final score or even the conclusion which can sometimes be vague when it comes to details you should know if you want to compare), then you need to understand what there is when it comes to PSUs.

If one of us were to walk through a review explaining everything, it'd be long and time-consuming, so actually showing you fully how to choose a PSU the best isn't something most are going to be willing to do. Normally I'd be willing to do something like that, but I won't have the time until at least late next week.

If being able to effectively look at reviews to compare and choose PSUs is something you are willing to be able do, then I suggest checking out the relevant PSU sections (PSUs, and Power supply related, respectively) here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/191796-526christians-learning-thread

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/215183-526christians-complementary-thread

The first thread has articles that will cover most the technical stuff. This should give most of the technical background you need to know. The second thread mostly has various bits of information that are more relevant to system builders, and can play a role when choosing a PSU (don't forget the PSU platform database by OrionFOTL, who is on this site right now as I type this). The first thread also has 10 links for PSU reviews that you can use.

Beyond this, it helps to spend some time somewhere like the jonnyguru.com forums. You can also try searching for things there with google using site:jonnyguru.com/forums/ It also helps to read a bunch of reviews and collect tidbits of useful information into something a text document.

double your max estimated wattage

This is a good way to end up spending a bit of unnecessary money or choosing a generally inferior PSU unless you plan on really power-hungry upgrades. PCPP's wattage estimations already overestimate a bit when it comes to how much power your components as a whole require.

But, when you actually do go to choose a PSU:

1. Decide on a wattage and decide on your budget. Like I said above, PCPP's estimations are generally more than you would actually use (although overclocking can change that situation). A good quality, modern 450W PSU is fine for the vast majority of mainstream, single CPU, single GPU systems, although such PSUs may be limiting when it comes to cables. PCPP will automatically filter properly when it comes to cables (and physical length) when you have compatibility filter on. Don't bother with 80+ ratings unless electricity is somehow expensive enough for you to worry about efficiency.

2. After you've narrowed down to some promising choices, look at reviews. This is the hard part, as you could probably tell from above. Use Orion's platform database to fill in the gaps for specific models in a series that might not have reviews. Ones based on the same platform in the same series are almost always pretty much the same in the end. Compare based on what you know.

3. Decide.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

Wow.... just wow, thank you for all of this info, and i would like to thank this community as well I have never been talked down to on these forums even though I have asked some really silly questions, i appreciate your sincere efforts to help me and for the links

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube