add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Moving my HDD to another PC.

E-equals-mc3
  • 33 months ago

HI! I am planning on upgrading my Computer with a new CPU, Motherboard, Ram, and PSU. I would like to save the $100+ on purchasing another HDD and os and migrate instead. I've already looked this up, and there are some Yes's, some No's, and some Maybe's. Is there a definite solution to my problem?

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you computer use OEM or Full Windows? If it used OEM, you will have to buy a new key. Otherwise, go for it, though I recommend starting fresh with a new SSD and a new copy of Windows.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

If it is not OEM just migrate it to the new PC. You don't need to clean install it as some people have suggested. The only reason to do that would be to eliminate unused and clutterer data, with you may not even have much of.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

... there are some Yes's, some No's, and some Maybe's.

Microsoft OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions:

OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed...

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube