add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it just me that doesn't like the Cooler Master Storm range?

olympuse410

71 months ago

I personally don't see the appeal - I feel they look tacky and cheap.

Of course, this is still just an opinion. If you have one, what drew you to it?

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

THANK YOU!

I feel like the Cooler Master cases "try too hard to be different". I understand why some people would like them, they're flashy and bright, but honestly, to me, it just looks like some UFO on your desk.

Now maybe everyone else loves the Cooler Master lineup, but to me, I personally don't like them. Here's a prime example of a case I do love.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146148&clickid=xpuQozT24WPiQc1W9pTj%3AUI5UkT3biTIE3TR0Q0&iradid=97618&ircid=2106&irpid=79301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

The clean lines, nice color scheme, and professional and not tacky design just win me over absolutely. Now I know this is a relatively expensive case, but many other cases have clean lines and more of a traditional style, which appeals to me more than this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-sgc2000kkn1gp

For this specific case, here are some things I don't like about it. Some can apply to the other Cooler Master cases.

-The handles on the top. Having those two handles make the case look tacky, and absolutely RUINS the clean aesthetic that I love so much. Now I can see where Cooler Master is going with this (portability), but it just does not look good to me.

-The side panel window. The shape is just disgusting. Triangles, I can deal with. Rectangles? Even better. But THAT POLYGON... it just looks like someone drew a random shape on MS Paint and Cooler Master decided to use it because it looked different. Even worse, they have ventilation holes on the side panel, further ruining the clean aesthetic.

-The front. Now, I am absolutely sure that not many people feel this way, but I really dislike cases that have an entirely mesh front. Now, some cases such as the Fractal Design Arc series are acceptable because there is some metal there to keep it looking clean, but fully meshed front is an absolute deal-killer for me. I'd much rather have poorer airflow than have noticeable dust rings and a strange looking front. And in this case? Makes me hate it even more.

DISCLAIMER: THESE OPINIONS ARE MINE AND MINE ONLY. NOT EVERYONE FEELS THIS WAY. YOU COULD ENJOY SOME OF THE THINGS I LIST HERE, BUT PLEASE. DON'T GO POSTING "OH, NOT EVERYONE FEELS THIS WAY STOP FORCING YOUR OPINIONS ON OTHERS". NOT TO POINT ANYONE OUT (AHEMAHEMAHEM) BUT JUST NO PLEASE DON'T. THANK YOU.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

:D Glad to see I'm not alone

One more thing to add to your points: there are way too many complexities, and parts of their cases that look like they were an afterthought by the designer. Like this - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-sgc5000wkwn1

When looking for a case, I want clean lines, something simple, like this case http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/lian-li-case-pcq08b

Also, why do their 5.25 inch drive bay covers extrude from the front?!? It annoys me no end.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The thing with PC cases is that it's a very personal choice, but then again it's hard to go by "can't judge a book by its cover" when someone has an awesome rig hidden inside a turd of a case.

I think Cooler Master did good with their HAF series, and my current case is an Elite 431 Plus, which at the time had one of the largest side panel windows for under $100 because I wanted my Zalman cooler to be the center of attention in my build.

I'm sure there are some people out there who love the Storm series, and others who agree with you. My favorite case of the moment is the Fractal Design R4 with window. The way you feel about the Storm series is how I feel about most of the NZXT Phantom series. I think they tried to hard to make them look interesting but they come off looking really gimmicky and cheesy.

I agree about clean lines, and I also prefer a more simplistic look, which is what drew me to cases like the R4 and some by Antec with the front panel door. Like the other guy said, I agree that the handles on the top of the Storm series are pretty tacky and lame.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, I kind of like them but I prefer Corsair's Obsidian series the most. I like clean and simple looks, none of that LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! looks. I do have a 900D so it's kind of still a LOOK AT ME BRO. lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube