add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Viola or Violin? Which One?

PCDanbo

20 months ago

I have played the Cello before, but it has been about 2 years since I last touched one. I am currently thinking of restarting over with another strings instrument. While the Cello is a lovely string instrument and that my body suits a cello, I would like a more "portable" instrument. At the moment, I am stuck between the choices of a viola or violin.

The viola is bigger than the violin so it could fit me better, but I'm not sure.

What is your opinion on this?

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

My girlfriend started playing the violin again after 10+ years. I could only encourage you to start playing some musical instrument once again.

Which one though? I can't help with that as I myself do not play any musical instruments. Will learn something maybe one day.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Go viola. It's my personal bias, but the violins at my school just go "squeak squeak", while the violas actually make a sound something like music. (just bias. They are actually good, our music program is one of the very top in the US.) But like chorus (Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass), altos and tenors tend to be the most flexible. You have the tenor (cello), so grab an alto (viola).

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep. I know. We actually have a really, really good music program. Our orchestra goes international for performances, and the Marching band (which I am in) has won National competitions in USBands multiple times.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Dartmouth High School.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Viola, imo The viola has so much more variety to it, wheres the violin is just a squeaky high instrument. The viola can still go high, but it can also go very low.

I may be biased as i do play viola :3

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Size shouldn't matter. I'd personally go for the violin since it will be more unique coming from a deep sounding instrument like the cello.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I will go with the viola. :D

Thanks for all of your help.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube