add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Stripped screws holes on H60

Crying_Reaper

72 months ago

So I currently have an H60 and when I was adding in a Corsair SP 120 Quiet Edition fan I noticed 3 out of 4 of my screw holes are totally stripped. I currently have the rad held in place with 3 long zip strips and they're holding just fine, but is there a way I could file a claim to get this replaced by Corsair as I bought it back in October of 2013? Or should I just break down and buy a new CPU cooler (probably an H100i)? Does anyone know of a solution to fix this that doesn't require an RMA or replacement?

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the same cooler and the same thing happened and if they don't take it back or you don't want to RMA then... just go to the next size up in screw and carefully re-threaded to the larger size screw.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

what would I need to retap the threads exactly?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

get screws that are just barely larger then the ones it came with, and screw them into it, that should give the plastic thread but you will have to use the larger screws after it

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I just just went to the hardware store and asked for the next size bigger screw and then I used that screw to tap the hole to that size. Keep the screw perpendicular to the surface, turn right two turns and let one turn the your all done. Here is a video of the proper way, but my way works as well. http://youtu.be/veO270DcKXE

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I was hoping I would have to go buy a tapping set as those can get a bit pricey. Very glad to hear it's a simple fix. I submitted a customer service request to Corsair last night so if nothing comes of it I can always do this.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube