PCPartPicker

• Register

Which version of Windows 10 is best for Gaming? Also, How to install to M.2 Drive?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

darkshadoku 2 months ago

Hello,

long story short, this will be my first build i build myself. I am just wondering which version of windows 10 i should buy (i will be going 64 bit) but i mean am i supposed to go with pro or home version? Second question, should i get the USB version or the regular version? Third question, if i will be installing this on my M.2 as the boot drive, will i need to leave my HDD out of my build (not installed) until i install the SSD with the OS? I have never installed a OS directly myself so i do not want it to automatically select the wrong (HDD) and install it there instead of my SSD.

Comments Sorted by:

Hunter844 1 Build 5 points 2 months ago
  1. The Home version is fine for gaming. As for "Best"...I'm not sure there would be any difference.

2. usb version will install faster. i get the disc with the COA just to keep, but just do install via download and creation of usb bootable media. For a beginner the disc is probably less confusing option.

3. Leave the hdd out until you've installed windows 10 onto the ssd, formatting/partition can be an issue. I've tried to install to ssd with another hard drive present and it gave me issues. Some quick searches led me to believe there are known issues with this...i cannot remember the details.

darkshadoku submitter 1 Build 2 points 2 months ago

Thank you so much for the quick response. The reason i was asking about the OS version was because i read that the home version pushes updates at random and causes BSOD's.

For the USB version is it just plug and install or something like that? Do you happen to know if i will have to do any bios setting/meddling ? Or do i just plug it in and go from there?

For Formatting/partition is there anything i should be wary of doing to prevent from doing anything wrong/incorrectly?

Hunter844 1 Build 4 points 2 months ago
  1. The OS should be stable. BSOD would normally be due to poor installation, bad parts choices/configuration, or altering windows. Whomever is telling you that doesn't know what they are doing. Having the pro version will not prevent issues that may have become apparent with Home...Pro offers more enhanced data protections and networking. In real world use in the home it's not necesssary to have PRO.

2. USB, you would plug it in to the left upper most USB port on the rear panel. You would have to go into the BIOS to select the USB to boot first. Save the BIOS SETTING AND exit...then it will boot the USB into windows 10 set up

2b. Updating the bios is not necessary unless you must update in order to use the CPU you choose and in that case you would need a compatible CPU to do the update. This need varies depending on hardware choice so it's kind of hard to answer...in general you should not have to update the bios.

1. Follow the windows ten prompts and you should be ok. Installing windows ten is very easy. Once it reboots you want to remove the USB so that it doesn't just boot back into setup.

Put together a build list and someone can look it over and tell you if everything looks ok

darkshadoku submitter 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $322.59 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $155.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Asus - MAXIMUS IX CODE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $259.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $176.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung - 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $299.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card $799.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $246.95 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2412.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-13 09:50 EDT-0400
Enrico411 2 points 2 months ago

You could save some money without losing performance and quality.

Unless you plan to go with sli in the future then a 850W will be more then enough for example https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jWFXsY/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-850w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-850fx .

Hello,

the system was already bought but i did see the price difference between the evo and the pro, but 50 $ wasnt going to kill me so i went for the pro. In regards to the PSU, i do plan on going SLI in the future that is why i went with the 1000 to prevent any issues or limitations. Other than that, does it look like a solid build?

And thank you for your help Hunter, really appreciate it.

[comment deleted]

Hey everyone, so i managed to build the desktop and do a clean install. So now i am seeing online that i might've done the boot installation incorrectly. do you know if UEFI is default on the maximus IX code board? Am i still able to update the bios driver for my samsung 960 pro for the super fast boot times or do i have to start over and reinstall windows once again? If i have to reinstall, how would i go about doing that? Do i reuse the same USB? and hopefully i don't have to rebuy a key