PCPartPicker

• Register

What is the cheapest functional custom loop you can make?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Russkie69 2 months ago

A friend of mine who is still in high school wants to do a custom loop for his high school project, thus the reason this would need to be cheap. I haven't dove into custom loops yet and it would be a cool experience for both him and me to learn about custom liquid cooling.

I know the basic essentials that you need for liquid cooling such as a reservoir, pump, radiator, tubing hard/flex, fittings, liquid material of your choosing, cpu block, gpu block.

I was wondering for the basics if something like this would work fine?

Reservoir

Pump

Radiator

Any advice and recommendations are welcome!

Comments Sorted by:

Lyrix 7 points 2 months ago

no. dont buy a aluminium radiator. it will **** up your copper cpu block and everything copper you have in your loop. you should never mix metals. i reccomend The EK Fluid Gaming A240. it is the best cheap loop and it all comes in a set so you wont forget anyting. this is the cheapest you can get without risking destroying your pc with bad parts.

Siwini 1 point 2 months ago

+1 for the warning about dissimilar metals.

Lyrix 1 point 2 months ago

thank you :D appreciate it.

Russkie69 submitter 3 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

The point is to buy each part separate and assemble to make your own custom loop not buy all in one kit that's expandable.

You do know that the EK FLuid Gaming A240 is aluminum right?

I think pcpartpicker forums are pretty dead, I guess I'll try my luck on reddit.

Also we would be using the custom loop for an older system on 1366 with either an i7 930 or a Xeon 5650 so nothing really expensive build costed under $150 in the first place, so the goal is to try and do a custom loop under $100 the less the better.

pegotico 2 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

I think pcpartpicker forums are pretty dead, I guess I'll try my luck on reddit.

You know people have a life..... Many work and others go to school... Obviously you will get some response but if you have no patience go ahead.. :)

One thing I can assure you is better recommendations here compared to reddit.

Rest assured I am fully aware people have lives. I can be impatient and I think this may be one of times that I am.

I do also believe I should be looking at other website forums that are dedicated to liquid cooling as the users there will be more informed and have a better understanding of the subject then a typical pcpartpicker user like myself.

pegotico 2 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

I do also believe I should be looking at other website forums that are dedicated to liquid cooling as the users there will be more informed and have a better understanding of the subject then a typical pcpartpicker user like myself.

There are many ppl that are really experienced when it comes to custom loops like Radox-O..

Now I do agree that its always a good idea to search other sites. Here is a good place..

http://www.overclock.net/f/61/water-cooling

Russkie69 submitter 3 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

Thanks man I've just started using the forums there as well!

Shakaron 4 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

You do know that the EK FLuid Gaming A240 is aluminum right?

So what? If all the components are aluminum, then everything is fine. :)

Read this to learn a bit more about aluminum and copper parts.

To read in general: https://www.ekwb.com/guides

Thank you I really appreciate that!

Shakaron 4 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

You're welcome. Good luck with the project. ;)

Thanks!

I've always been interested about diving into custom liquid cooling with loops and all, so this will be the perfect opportunity to learn about it and have a hands on experience with it.

Lyrix 1 point 2 months ago

i know that its aluminium but its ALL aluminium. So you dont mix metals. Why is it the point to buy each part seperate? a kit is easy to assamble. well you can do a cheap build but it wont be high performing or safe.

I just want to do something that is custom by buying piece by piece to keep the price down and have it full aluminium to keep the price down as I believe that should be cheaper than doing full copper. I know there are kits and they are easy to assemble but that's not the point of the project the project is to kind of more hands on and DIY but not like DIY entirely where you would be using like CNC machine and fabricating cpu blocks, fittings, and all the essentials for a custom loop if that makes any sense. This whole project will be a learning process experience to present to the school faculty and talk about water cooling and computers in general and I think the corrosion with the mix metals will be a interesting topic to discuss in his paper along with the different types of corrosion as stated on in the EKWB Blog which Shakaron linked in his comment.

Entrainers 1 point 2 months ago

Red flag, don't mix metals.

You won't get cheaper than this

I've seen that linus video before.

The radiator linus has in his parts list is also Aluminum and the cpu block with no bracket is copper. I don't mean to be rude, but did you even watch the video yourself?

The video wasn't meant to be practical, it was meant to entertain people for views. It won't kill your system to mix metals, but you will cause corrosion which can wear away components, leaving your loop broken and possibly a leak that touches important components (i.e. GPU) and ruins them.

tragiktimes101 1 point 2 months ago

I will say it's quite odd to say don't mix metals in one comment, and then immediately post a video that shows the opposite in another.

The second was meant as a joke

tragiktimes101 1 point 2 months ago

Second line of original comment?

CarCat 1 point 2 months ago

Russkie, just basing this by your other responses, you seem confident that you're right when all arrows point to wrong. Good luck when you fry your entire computer.

I am not worried about frying the i7 930 because I have a i7 920 and 3 more x58 boards along with plenty of spare DDR3 ram.

I am confident enough in myself and my ability to build computers and I am by no means a professional, but I have yet to fry a computer. I am not scared of liquid cooling and but I am fully aware of the possibility of frying the computer if done wrong and that is why I am doing my due diligence by researching thoroughly. Please don't make the assumption that you think you know me I will apologize when I am wrong but not in this case I don't think I have done anything or said anything wrong.

Please elaborate where I feel that I am right. I asked people for their advice and recommendations I had someone tell me one thing but post a video contradicting their own response, so I responded asking if they even watched the video they linked me.

CarCat 1 point 2 months ago

Just saying, the whole mixing metals thing is right. And from what I can tell you seem confident that what we're saying is wrong. Go ahead to reddit. Have fun.

I never said the mixing metals was wrong. I said that he said mixing metals was bad, but sent me a video where Linus mixes aluminum and copper parts which contradicted his initial statement.