PCPartPicker

• Register

If I got an SSD later on (relating to RAID and AB350 Pro4)

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

hypergalaxy8 6 days ago

Should I have RAID turned on from the start when I'm, for the first time, setting up the BIOS? Also does the Pro4 come with the newest BIOS version installed?

Comments Sorted by:

Shakaron 3 Builds 1 point 6 days ago

Should I have RAID turned on from the start when I'm, for the first time, setting up the BIOS?

Not necessarily. If you want to keep the OS drive and add a RAID array independent of it, then you can turn them as RAID whenever you get the drives.

If you want to turn the OS drive as RAID, then you will lose all data anyway when you set up the new RAID 0 array. In case you wanted to do a RAID 1 array for the OS, then you should have it already set up, as Windows doesn't like when the drive changes its type. Although this could be circumvented with the right registry settings. :)

does the Pro4 come with the newest BIOS version installed?

It is rather irrelevant. ASRock can be expected to release new BIOS versions down the line. So you better check what the latest BIOS is and just get the new version whenever it's released. Updating BIOS is rather straightforward these days.

hypergalaxy8 submitter 1 point 6 days ago

Thanks, but I have one more question. Would I just transfer the OS over to the SSD or is it not easy as that? Sorry if that sounded kind of dumb. :P

tragiktimes101 1 point 6 days ago

Use a program such as AOMEI Partition Assistant. You can use that program to migrate the data from your HDD to you SDD. It's a free program that is pretty simple to use.

hypergalaxy8 submitter 1 point 5 days ago

What if I only wanted to move only the OS? And would I plug in the SSD using an USB adapter to do so?

tragiktimes101 1 point 5 days ago

You can use the aforementioned program to migrate specifically the OS to the SSD via SATA connections. All you have to do is install the SSD alongside the HDD.

https://imgur.com/gallery/amO3O

Shakaron 3 Builds 1 point 6 days ago

I've never heard of moving OS from HDD to SSD. Apparently, tragiktimes101 knows about such a program.

However, I would just simply install the OS on the new driver. A fresh OS is always faster than an old one. ;)

manirelli staff 8 Builds 1 point 6 days ago

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > Other" to "Hardware > Motherboards".

Cicero_ 3 Builds 1 point 6 days ago

Why are you wanting to do RAID anyway? Assuming it's RAID 0 or 1, I definitely wouldn't recommend it. Unless you're moving very large files quite frequently, the increased speed of RAID 0 isn't worth it because of the increased failure rate. With RAID 1, it again isn't worth it unless you want to make sure that your PC has optimal uptime, even when one drive fails. This because when 1 of the mirror drives fail, the other is put under immense stress trying to repair the first one, which temporarily increases the failure rate of both exponentially. This can cause them both to fail at the same time, meaning you are SOL for both drives. If you want to do RAID, I would recommend RAID 5 or RAID 10. Maybe you've already decided on RAID 5/10, and I just wasted my time. Good thing I have this as a copypasta.

Just to confirm, I never built the PC or even started ordering parts, so idk what RAID 0/1 and 5/10 means. Let's say I had it on AHCI, and I plugged in the SSD. Would I put it in RAID? I don't know much when it comes to RAID and stuff like that, and I prefer if you simplify it. Thanks for helping so far :)

Cicero_ 3 Builds 1 point 5 days ago

RAID is when you put 2 or more drives together to act as one drive via software. There are different versions of RAID for different purposes/tasks.

RAID 0 combines 2 drives to make them faster. An example of this would be combining 2 1tb hard drives together in RAID 0. They will act as 1 1tb hard drive, but they will both work on reading/writing data, making them faster. This is generally not worth the risk because it increases the failure rate of both the drives and the performance increase is generally negligible.

RAID 1 combines 2 drives to mirror each other. With RAID 1, if you combined 2 tb hard drives, one would act as your storage and the other would be a constantly updating identical copy to the storage drive. If your storage drive fails, the mirror drive will attempt to repair the storage drive by replacing all the data with the mirrored data. This sounds great, in theory, since it means you will have little to no down time when your drive fails because you will quickly be able to get back up and running with the mirror drive. The problem is that the repair process puts a lot of stress on the mirror drive, which can cause that one to fail too, rendering both drives broken. This is again not recommended over just a standard backup system because it's less safe.

RAID 5 is similar to RAID 1, but makes use of 3 or more drives, which is a lot safer. If you're gonna do RAID, 5 is recommended because the risk of 3 or more drives failing simultaneously is a lot lower than 1 or 2.

This is all I can remember about RAID, and I might have some of my info a little oversimplified or even plain wrong (I've got a bad headache and my memory on the subject has kind of dwindled since I last looked into it), but it should be correct for the most part. Feel free to check the wikipedia page if you're a little confused.

I'm still a little confused, but thanks for helping!

Cicero_ 3 Builds 1 point 5 days ago

You can't do RAID with 1 drive, and I wouldn't recommend it with 2. If you're gonna set up a RAID, get at least 3 drives together first, then you can worry about setting it up.

So I'm assuming you mean I leave AHCI on for 2 drives. But thank you so much for helping :)