• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

ROBLIVESON 6 days ago

Not sure if this should be in the OS, or mobo catagory, but I recently built my first pc and I have been wondering how to get cold start and restart boot times to get under 20 seconds. I have made some BIOS adjustments, disabled "fast boot" in the Windows 10 power options. I have disabled all startup programs, and also set some not-so-critical services to "delayed start", disabled, manual, etc. I've done a re-install, and all drivers are up to date (even a new BIOS update as of last week). I've tried default BIOS without XMP and overclock, and disabling SATA, lowering RAM paging file, and unchecking most visual effects in advanced options. None of these things affected boot time for me. I notice Nvidia has a ton of processes running when I start up like Nvida container and Nvidia web helper and a few more, but I'm at the point where I'm scared to disable the wrong thing.

Strangely, locking the taskbar made the boot fly past the windows logo, but the thing that is bothering me the most is being stuck on the welcome screen for about 10-20 seconds before anything on the keyboard registers so I can click to the password screen.

If anyone can help, as you can read, I'm very impatient... :) THANKS!!

ASRock AB350 Pro4 Ryzen 7 1700 / 3.8 G.Skill Flare X 3200 (2x8) Nvidia GTX 1050 Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe (boot) 2, 2TB Seagate Barracuda (mirrored RAID1) *boot was slow before installing these drives Windows 10 Pro

Comments Sorted by:

Sainted 2 points 6 days ago

Have you performed a clean install of your OS after you installed the SSD? I have seen some bright individuals not doing that, and they normally end up with a problem like yours.

ROBLIVESON submitter 1 point 6 days ago

Hi, yes I've done that. The 960 was the only drive attached when I installed windows for the first and second time. I realize it's not a huge problems, but when everyone says it shouldn't take more than 5 seconds to boot I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

Ada 2 points 6 days ago

NVME will always be somewhat slower on the boot because it has to wait on the PCI-E to be initialized.

ROBLIVESON submitter 1 point 6 days ago

Hi, that has been on my mind as being the issue. Do you know if setting any CSM Oprom settings to Legacy, or UEFI may do anything? There is an Ultra Fast boot option in the UEFI, but it just makes my pc boot to bios in a loop.

Ada 2 points 6 days ago

None of those options are really going to help much it has more to do with how the specific BIOS ranks things and in what order during POST.

ROBLIVESON submitter 1 point 5 days ago

Thanks!! :)

darkshadoku 2 points 4 days ago

having the same issue here with slow boot time (15-20 seconds from moment i push power button). Pc starts up, i see first ROG logo, goes to second ROG then login screen. Do i have to download and install the samsung driver for the m.2? Is it possible to fix after you have already install windows or do i have to do a full clean install again? If its that one, any idea if i can use the same windows USB i bought?

ROBLIVESON submitter 1 point 2 days ago

Update... I will confess I'm a noob, but really just did some trial and error. I'm at 7 seconds now. Clean install. I somehow managed to make Windows 10 boot directly to desktop with no logon screen. The only thing I'm still working on is the PC boots completely before mouse/keyboard are detected. RAID1 mirror worked immediately when clicked in disk management. After driving myself nuts for a week searching for ways to fix without having to install, it's worth the time... just make sure you backup your files beforehand!

I just used the original USB boot drive I had installed Windows 10 with a month ago and set boot priority in BIOS to boot from it for a fresh install. I followed the W10 install procedure. Once in windows, I adjusted all privacy, power settings etc, updated windows defender, directly downloaded the AMD chipset drivers for Ryzen 7 1700 (restarted), and then Nvidia drivers, and then Samsung NVMe driver only (restarted). Windows update, and checked the Devices section for anything else not detected, or needing drivers. All of my other programs are on the HDD and just need to be reinstalled.

I have an ASRock, but in BIOS I see a brand new boot title for the Samsung 960 EVO that was not there before: 'Samsung 960 EVO Windows 10 Boot' (or something along those lines). I disabled all other boot options. I chose "Ultra Fast" which never worked in the past, but now it works!! Anyway, hope this helps!

tragiktimes101 1 point 6 days ago

What is a common PCI-e initialization time frame?

Ada 1 point 6 days ago

Depends on the motherboard but its generally the last thing loaded up that's why PCI-E SSD are no faster for a boot drive then SATA and generally slower.