• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

FinnTheHuman101 6 days ago

Hi, When I first built my PC a little over a month ago, it had no signs of life. I tried just about everything, and didn't know what to do. I recently found out that my CPU was faulty and that it had damaged my motherboard, and got them both replaced. After rebuilding it, my hopes were high as the PC lit up and all the fans turned on. The only problem was that once I tried plugging it in to a monitor, there was no signal. I tried using both a VGA and HDMI cable plugged into both the motherboard and the video card with no luck, as well as resetting the CMOS battery, reseating the ram and putting the ram in different slots. I also tested the monitor with another computer (it worked) and tried using a different monitor. I also noticed that when I plugged in a mouse it lit up. The video card fans spin for a little bit once I turn the PC on and soon just turn off (I assume this is just due to it not being used). I have also tried a few other solutions I found online such as unplugging the PC and then pressing the power button for ~1 minute. Finally, I thought it would be worth noting that I have 3 fans plugged into the motherboard and 1 into the PSU (I saw someone in another threads problem be linked to this).

Here is my part list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $278.00 @ Shopping Express
Motherboard ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $122.00 @ Shopping Express
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $199.00 @ Umart
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $132.50 @ Shopping Express
Storage Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $62.00 @ Shopping Express
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card $439.00 @ Shopping Express
Case NZXT - S340 Elite (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $149.00 @ Umart
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $95.00 @ Shopping Express
Case Fan Thermaltake - Riing 12 LED Red 40.6 CFM 120mm Fan $18.00 @ Umart
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1548.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-14 17:07 AEST+1000

Comments Sorted by:

fzdw11 3 points 5 days ago

Now that you got the display working, the easiest way to get that fan you unplugged to work would be buying a Y Splitter for the fan, and plugging 2 fans into it and then plugging that into your motherboard header. 2 fans off of 1 header shouldn't be an issue, but it also means that 2 of your fans will be running the same, can't independently control them through the BIOS.

FinnTheHuman101 submitter 1 point 4 days ago

After installing Windows, I just plugged the fan back into the PSU and it worked just fine.

LucasderpYT 2 points 6 days ago

Unplug a fan from the PSU, if it doesnt work unplug that and one from the MOBO

FinnTheHuman101 submitter 1 point 5 days ago

Thanks so much! I just unplugged a fan from the PSU and got a display. The only thing now is how do I get that fan working? There are only three places to plug in fans on my motherboard

LucasderpYT 1 point 5 days ago

Don't worry about it.

xbiker12 2 points 6 days ago

well, first off the Ryzen 5 cpu doesn't have onboard graphics so the mobo spots will never work. (so no need to try and get that to happen)

The gtx 1060 has only Digital outputs, so if you're converting the dvi to a vga without using an active adaptor that is also never going to work.

So I would suggest focusing on the HDMI method from the video card as thats the only option you've listed that is designed to actually work. When you say you tested that monitor with another computer, was that using HDMI or the VGA? Was it using the same HDMI cable you're trying on this pc monitor combo? (I ask cuz a bad HDMI cable is super frustrating to troubleshoot if you don't think to confirm the cable is good)

tragiktimes101 2 points 6 days ago

Not to mention that HDMI's can easily become defective.

FinnTheHuman101 submitter 1 point 5 days ago

I just tested the HDMI cable with another computer, and it didn't work. I also thought that I should note that this was on a macbook air using an adaptor, so it could be a problem with the adaptor. The only reason I think it could be the adaptor is because this cable works perfectly well for the TV, so I just assumed it should be fine. Do you think it sounds like my HDMI cable is bad?

EDIT: I just unplugged the fan from the PSU and got a display! I kinda want that fan to work though so don't know what to do about that...

tragiktimes101 1 point 5 days ago

Are you able to wire the fan to the MoBo header instead of directly to the PSU?

FinnTheHuman101 submitter 1 point 4 days ago

After installing Windows, I just plugged the fan back into the PSU and it worked just fine.

Macboi 2 points 5 days ago

As LucasderpYT pointed out it sounds like a PSU problem, as usually when a pc powers up and then quits it has to do with being powered and not individual components being faulty unless it's the MB.