Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

So i'm planning on building a PC on Feb 7th i had so many pc plans since December 2016 to Today. After the 8th gen is accounced i was hyped for it but then i realized "What about 9th Gen?" I need some opinions to build the pc this year or next year

Comments Sorted by:

Radox-0 3 Builds 7 points 2 months ago

Guess you one could ask what about 10th Gen?

Long story short, always be something new coming out. Thinking about the replacement of a product not yet even out if your looking to build now is a ever spinning wheel.

Sainted 1 point 2 months ago

You beat me to writing exactly the same. :-)

I'd recommend using typewriter from productivity and some board games for gaming, and grab myself a 15th Gen i11 in 2022.

Enrico411 4 points 2 months ago

You build a pc when you need it. If you need it now you build it now. If you don't need it now then you wait until you need it. Thats just my opinion.

Ada 2 points 2 months ago

Something better is always on the horizon and if you wait you will never enjoy what you could have.

But 9th gen isn't slated until late 2018 at the least I wouldn't bother waiting on it.

8th gen is maybe a month away so it would depend on when exactly you plan to build

If Now work with Now, If Later work with Later.

tragiktimes101 2 points 2 months ago

I second Ada and Enrico411 completely. (I guess that would actually be thirding them?) If you are unsure about what you would like to do in the future try to build something that would either have good resale value in the future, something that you can easily upgrade from, or something that you could repurpose. A GPU is easy to migrate into new systems, as well as RAM (so long as its the same type), and PSUs.

Build you build when you need. Otherwise, the hopeful list will grow forever.

RPUWAR 1 point 2 months ago

Your list can go on forever, if at feb 7th 9th gen is released get it

panthersoul 1 point 2 months ago

I do have a 6th gen i7 atm. So my situation on choice is probably different. But I'll be waiting for 9th gen. Even though my wife could use cpu as an upgrade to her fx 8320e machine.

Reason is simply the pricing and pushing amd and Intel are doing now. They called ryzen a worst case scenario. For the zen 2 they'll be releasing. And Intel knows they have greater ipc over amd. And I'm assuming 8th gen prices will be confirmed higher price than other consumer lines because of core count...if zen 2 doesnt have like avx512...I'll likely take 9th gen in a heart beat.

I would benefit from the cores for my workloads. But I don't want to buy the HEDT chipsets. To dedicate that much money to an encoding render rig for my own hobbies.

Tldr; competition just started. I'd wait for refinement and pricing.

Nuclear_Physicist_Thats_A_Birb submitter -1 points 2 months ago

Intel is always the expensive better option while AMD had the budget range, I always try fins good budgets with Intel if not then I go with AMD

yveshe 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

Lets put it this way: We could have two scenarios, either the 9th generation CPU will use a Z370 Motherboard and nothing more/less, or Intel will probably release their 10th generation CPU in a year or two, just like in 6th generation.

So my suggesting would be to get the 9th generation CPU since you're planing to build on February, which the new CPU should be released around that time/Q1 and be set.

Cmdr__Tim 1 point 2 months ago

You wait for Zen 2/3 and see how those pan out ;)

Nuclear_Physicist_Thats_A_Birb submitter 1 point 2 months ago

Not really on the AMD side more on Intel

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

Something better will always be coming out, you can't win the waiting game. Just buy the best you can at that time.