add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

The Lesser of Two Evils

cdchasdaniel
  • 75 months ago

So I've been planning on upgrading my old build with new components in a iterative fashion. Thanks to some great feedback on this board, I've decided to upgrade my power supply first. I've had my eye on this one but I really haven't decided yet.

But that's not the point of this topic. What I'd like to know is which PSU is better, my old Apevia that I've used since 2009 or my son's el cheapo that came with this case. Which happens to be several years newer in production than the Avepia but I suspect is not as good.

I'm wondering if I should put the old one in his system because of how poor the one is that came with the case.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

The EVGA one isn't bad, but I stick with PSU's from Seasonic, Corsair or XFX. Apevia is not reputable and 99% of the time the PSU's that come with a case are CRAP! Your topic title is very accurate! For now, I'd put the Apevia in his system and ditch the one that came with the case.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

The one thing that got my attention with the EVGA PSU was the 10 year warrany. New Egg has video on the page for that product and mentioned it in there. Is that normal warranty for a PSU? I a haven't looked into it.

Thanks for the advice on the Apevia. It's been working great for 4 years now so I figure it's probably more reliable than that el cheapo one in my son's case. The fact that you can still buy the Apevia on most vendor sites but you can't buy the case tells me it's probably better.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Well...that fact that you CAN still buy something doesn't always mean you should. If you look at the number of reviews for PSU's on this site, the Apevia has a 1-star overall review, so yes it's better than a crappy PSU that's included with a case, which isn't saying much.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

The Antec HCG power supplies are OEM Seasonic, I'd add those to the "reliable PSUs list".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube