add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is RM1000x overkill?

Gleb_Kalashnikov
  • 30 months ago

Hello, I am going to be building a PC with 7700k and Asus Strix 1080ti OC (planning to overclock both to the max). I wanted to know if a 1000watt power supply is way too much for a build like this. I just wanted to get a "bigger" power supply in order to have the extra for the future, but will this power supply ruin the components in any way (from producing much more power than needed) or suffer from being underused?

Also, if anyone wants I can say the whole part list.

Thank You!

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 3 points

Considering even a 750W is plenty for overclocking everything AND SLI its a stupid amount of overkill.

will this power supply ruin the components in any way (from producing much more power than needed)

PSU's only supply what is needed to the build.

suffer from being underused?

No.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply! I decided to still take a little over what I really need, so I settled for a Seasonic Platinum 860W.

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

That's a psu from 2012, not a good choice anymore at all. Also weird wattage for a setup that will only consume 400W at load.

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

If you want to go massive overkill even though its stupid to do I would at least get a good recent unit like this.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dqgPxr/seasonic-prime-gold-850w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-850gd

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

What's wrong with the one I selected?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Its kinda old
  2. Its way overkill but they already went through this.
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's something I will add that Vagabond left out from his otherwise great comment. It is often overlooked that parts, GPU's in particular, get more energy efficient as time goes on. This means that as you upgrade in the future, you're actually going to see a similar or lower power usage.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply! I decided to still take a little over what I really need, so I settled for a Seasonic Platinum 860W.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 3 points

The PCPP wattage calculator is super inaccurate. I wouldn't ever use that lol.

[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 2 points

The PCPartPicker wattage calculator literally just measures the heat output as according to the manufacturer's website. It has somewhat of a basis on real life, but it has been proven time and time again to be very inaccurate.

[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 5 points

Except that your entire argument is rendered null by the fact that your first statement is flat out wrong.

• 30 months ago
  • 3 points

If the manufacturer says that a CPU has a TDP of 91 Watt for example, there is no way that this CPU will consume more no matter what at stock speeds.

TDP != power used. They are related but not equal. Its why real world number often heavily vary from what PCPP claims.

U don't know he exact consumption if u overclock those parts, but that's why u choose a PSU with at least 100 watt more.

You can though by looking up real world power usage and making some educated guesses.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/asus_gtx1080_ti_strix_oc_sli_overkill3d_review/2

This uses about 580W from the PSU with two overclocked GPU's and a 6800K which uses a fair amount more power than a 7700K. If you overclock the 7700K is safe to assume that it would use about the same amount of power that a 6800K at stock speeds would use, give or take.

And for making your build more future proof, if u like to add some more components in the near future, just add another 100 watt to the PSU.

You shouldn't just guess, you should find out what kind of upgrades that are reasonable that would end up using the most power and then use that to find out what size PSU you should get. This this build a realistic upgrade option would be another GTX 1080 TI and maybe another SSD or two.

At the end it's a simple calculation. U don't even need a PSU calculator for that.

PSU's calculators tend to be even worse than PCPP when it comes to guessing power draw.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube