add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I Change My 32 bit System to 64?

greenwbp
  • 32 months ago

I am trying to figure out if my system is compatible with 64bit. I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed and it's an older custom built system (someone else built).

It has an Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 processor which says it is a 32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor. The MB is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P and it says the system type is x86-based PC.

Should I be able to change to 64?

Thanks!

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Plenty of reading material. e.g. LINK

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! That link is really helpful.

However, what I don't get is right in the beginning. It shows the two approaches to checking if the system is compatible. When I check the first way in settings, system type is "32-bit operating system, x64-based processor". BUT when I do the alternative method and look in system information, system type is "x86-based pc".

This is why I'm confused.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

The "x86" is short for "x86-64", meaning the system supports both 64- and 32- bit systems.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your guidance about it friend. Hope the link you mention its really work and solve my issue also. :-)

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

The motherboard has drivers for Windows 7 64 bit and the cpu specs say it can do 64 bit. So I don't see why not. Windows 10 64 bit should work fine. You may need to think about doing a bios update to the latest before going forward: F10 release notes mention "enhanced memory capabilities"

You'll need the activation key and do a fresh install.

Probably would also need to add RAM because 64 bit will want more.

Throw an ssd in there as the boot drive and it should run like a top.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. You actually answered your own question with the 'x64-based processor' part. Here is the first google result for 'x64 processor'.

Also checking out the CPU on Intel's ARK site should make it pretty clear.

Fun fact but that is the same CPU I had in my last PC I built before my current one. I ran the 64bit version of Windows Vista Ultimate on that rig.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for everyone's help! Everything worked out.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube