add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Installing windows 8 on new PC/Uninstalling from current PC.

Aznboizzzx
  • 32 months ago

Hey guys,

Totally confused as on what to do here, hopefully you can help!

So I upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10 for free and I want to reuse the windows 8 product key and disc for a new PC, but after searching I found out that I couldn't do that.

I previously bought windows 8 for my current PC and want to use it on my new PC.

How do I go about doing this?

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 2 points

... I want to reuse the windows 8 product key ... How do I go about doing this?

You don't.
Microsoft OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions:

OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed...

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

You can't. When you upgraded to Win 10 for free, if you did a clean install of Win 10 and used the Win 8 key to activate it, MS generates a new Win 10 key for the new install and deactivates the Win 8 key (so you can't use it to get another free install), then ties the new Win 10 key to the hardware. So, you can't use the Win 8 key to put a new install on different hardware. (If there is a way to do what you want, you won't find it here; it's a MS licence violation and the admin staff here will delete the answer.) Otherwise, you could do that to a number of different machines, and make them all eligible for free Win 10 upgrades; MS will never allow that.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube