add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Estimated vs. Actual Power Consumption

Alex.88

28 months ago

I finally found my electric usage meter, and wanted to give some info on estimated vs. actual power usage for those who are also interested. Note that this is only one data point out of many; I'm sure there could still be enough variation depending on a number variables.

I figured my current build is pretty close/similar to the 'average' enthusiast/gaming/etc rig:
- Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6 GHz base, OCed to 3.9 GHz, stock 1.375 Vcore
- NZXT Kraken X61 with two extra 140mm fans
- Single XFX RX 580 8 GB, no OC
- Some common peripherals
- 32 GB DDR4 RAM (reasonable amount is probably 16 GB, but either way)
- No extra LED lights/strips
Full build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tFt37h

I measured some common scenarios:

Powered Off: about 1.2 W
In Hibernation: about 1.5 W

Idle with low fans: avg 77 W, max peak of 80 W
Idle with max fans: avg 95 W, max peak of 100 W
Typical web browsing with low fans: avg 98 W, peaks of 101 W

Warframe (Max Settings): avg 110 to 150 W, peaks of 210 W

Cinebench (GPU): avg 145 W, max peak of 170 W
Cinebench (CPU): avg 188 W, max peak of 190 W
prime95 only (w/ max fans): avg 218 W, max peak of 220 W
Furmark only (w/ max fans): avg 308 W, max peak of 311 W
3D Mark TimeSpy (CPU and GPU): avg 310, max peak of 315 W
prime95 and Furmark together (w/ max fans): avg 432 W, max peak of 435 W

From vagabond139, those power consumption values still take about a 0.9x multiplier because of efficiency, so for this system, 435 x 0.9 = 392 W max that is actually used by the system, and the rest is wasted as heat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

PCPP gives an estimate of 448 W
OuterVision gives an estimate of 455 W to 482 W (depending on what time intervals you choose)

So for either estimate, they seem pretty close to the actual max draw. But even if you don't plan to upgrade your system, I'd still give at least a 100 W buffer, even more so since PSUs are optimal at roughly 40-60% load (don't know the exact numbers, just from what I've seen). And if your build has one video card, and you might want to add a second card or other stuff later on, that's another consideration.

If anyone else has their own numbers they'd want to add, feel free.

Note this is a system with only one RX 580 card, so a 1080 or two cards will of course have a higher draw. Also if you get into higher overclocks that change the CPU Vcore and/or GPU core voltage, that can definitely increase it further.

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

How about a 3DMark run and an AAA game run?

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

I added 3DMark and Warframe - the wattage on Warframe jumped around a lot, so the best 'average' estimate I can give is 90 to 120 W, with short peaks of up to 140 W.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure, can do - I actually still haven't gotten myself an AAA game yet since I've built my system, ha, but I have a few games I'd want to try and can posts the results later on.
I can load and run 3DMark soon, yep.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep in mind that is from the wall, you will need to multiply by .9 to get the actual number that the system is using. It uses about 391W while CPU and GPU are being tortured tested.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I did not know of that, I'll add that in - do you know what causes the difference?

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Efficiency, PSU's are not 100% efficient. All of the power they draw from the wall does not go to the build, some of it gets releases as heat. You should multiple by .9 (90%) since that is roughly the efficiency of the PSU (The G3 is this case) and its a nice clean number.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha, makes sense. So like in reference to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus
"The efficiency of a computer power supply is its output power divided by its input power; the remaining input power is converted into heat. For instance, a 600-watt power supply with 60% efficiency running at full load would draw 1000 W from the mains and would therefore waste 400 W as heat. On the other hand, a 600-watt power supply with 80% efficiency running at full load would draw 750 W from the mains and would therefore waste only 150 W as heat."

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Updated some of the numbers; Warframe seems to use a fair bit more in the Plains of Eidolon area now (on max settings, it brings my framerate down to 30ish in some parts with my RX580 actually).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube