add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Airflow - Cooler Master Elite 130 mITX Case

nikitaluger

71 months ago

My Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/nikitaluger/saved/33EF

Product Page: http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-itx-elite-series/elite130/

Good day to my fellow builders, I need your advice with regards to the airflow on my build. All in all the setup has a total of 7 Fans and all of them are "intake" so they get air from the outside and blow it into the case. Here is a breakdown:

3 fans - GPU 2 fans - Liquid Cooler 120mm 1 fan - 80mm Case (Side) fan 1 fan - PSU

the product page illustrates a recommended airflow diagram based either a Liquid CPU Cooler or default CPU fan and it's just a matter of flipping the PSU. I have a liquid cooler so I flip the PSU with the fan facing the mobo. Here is my problem... The PSU fan I have rotates in a way that it sucks air from outside and blows it into the case; like I said all the fans are doing "intake" and it will not make a difference if I flip the PSU around. I am concerned about the airflow not doing what its supposed to do. Can anyone give a good advice as to what I'm supposed to do? Would this be alright or should I make changes? and if I made changes what would be the best one to do? Would love to hear from anyone and I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

you should keep the pus facing up so it is drawing cool air from outside and not air from the inside of the case. the reason behind this is because you are not using a blower style cooler for your gpu, thus the hot air given off from your card will be blown into the case and having your psu suck up the warm air which isnt good for your psu.

With what you have the air should flow nicely in the front and out the back.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I can flip the PSU and have the fan facing up making the PSU have its own independent airflow (suck air from the back plate & blows hot air out of the top mesh) and yeah I think that would be a good change leaving me 1 fan less to worry about. But I'm still left with 6 fans blowing air into the case and still no exhaust fan, im pretty much relying on the mesh around the case as exhaust.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

are you sure that is how the pus works? im not saying you are wrong but all the psus that i have seen draw air in through the grills over the fan and exhaust it out the back past the power cord connector.

with all those fans blowing in it is creating positive pressure inside your case and the air will escape where ever is can. it makes for a more dust proof system.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

unfortunately yes that's how this particular PSU fan works, it's unusual for me too and this is the first time I heared of it.

Is the positive pressure a good thing?

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes it is. The dust doesnt have as much of a chance to settle down when the air is built up inside the case and looking for a way out. Less dust means an overall cooler system. You might want to flip the 80mm side fan around to act as a single exhaust vent to help direct the flow of air.

I believe there is a fan system that fits in the 5.25 bay that is configurable to either intake or exhaust, which might help with the overall temp. You have all that cool air being pulled in, heating up and having no where to go. The 80mm being flipped around to exhaust will help a deal with that.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

well it's good to hear that I did something good by accident and yes I'll flip the 80mm and use it as an exhaust. Do I still need to flip my PSU so that the fan will face the roof? or should I just leave it as is (fan facing the mobo)?

I think I'll pass on the 5.25" fan system and just deal with what I have now. But I'll think about it... I might just get one mainly for the looks but not anytime soon... unless I get bored lolz!

thanks for the tip SSSHypermen.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

I have the same case, but I had to take the 80mm out because of my MOBO. Is there anyone who has this case and knows how I could mod the case to add a fan for exhaust? I have the 3 GPU fans and a 120mm intake, and only the PSU fan for exhaust, and while negative pressure is out of the question, I would still like to do something more to exhasut all that hot air.

Any ideas anyone? Can fans be attached on the outside of the case maybe?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

the 80mm won't fit due to how your mobo is setup? if its possible to fit the 80mm, is suggest you flip the fan so it serves as an exhaust but I think the PSU fan is more than adequate to facilitate your exhaust.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, its a known thing with installing the Maximus VI Impact on a Cooler Master Elite 130 - even the cooler master install video has this example for this MOBO and they had to take the 80mm out. I will try to see if I can maybe fit the 80mm somewhere else as an exhaust, but its unlikely with everything being to tight.

I do feel a little better knowing lots of people use their PSU fan as exhaust as well. Also the CPU is liquid cooled, so that should help too.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube