add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I want to verify if this is true

hypergalaxy8
  • 32 months ago

When installing Windows, when it restarts during installation, do I take the USB out?

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 2 points

... when it restarts during installation, do I take the USB out?

Necessity, No.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

From what I know that should be ok, if it needs the installation media again it will prompt you. Last time I updated a system to Win10 though I think I just left the drive in the whole time.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

The first time I did an installation from usb it rebooted and went right back into the installation setup as if I had not ever tried installing before. I ended up yanking the usb and it booted into windows. After thinking about it I figured this was because I had changed the boot order to look for usb first.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean if you don't want to start the installation again... XD Best to take it out.

• 32 months ago
  • 0 points

If you have your boot priority set to boot from your USB before the HDD then yes, you will have to remove it or it will keep booting from the USB.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sorry I'm answering 20 days later, but should I set the boot order to my hard drive than USB? If so, could I use the same USB drive to install the drivers? I haven't built the PC yet if you were wondering.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I always set my priority back to HDD first then USB after completing the install. You can use the USB to install the drivers, but I wouldn't suggest having both the OS and the drivers on the same USB at the same time.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

you usually want the HDD to be the priority, so if you leave a usb in it won't mess up reboots etc. If you ever do need to have it actually boot from the usb, you just go into bios and change it, or once in bios just select boot from usb which there is usually an option to choose so you don't have to actually change it and save settings.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Should I plug the USB in before or after entering BIOS or while its off?

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, I think we've all done that at least once (Maybe more)... XD

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

Well now I won't. When I build my first PC, that is. Thanks for saving all us new kids on the block some trouble. Notes taken!

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Not a problem!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube