add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this a good fan if I want to overclock my CPU by .5 - .6 ghz?

CannedBullets

82 months ago

My CPU is an AMD FX-6300 and its stock clock speed is 3.5 ghz. In the summer when I upgrade my PSU I plan on putting in an aftermarket CPU cooler also. So would this be good if I wanted to overclock my FX-6300 from 3.5 ghz to 4.0-4.1 ghz?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

Also, is the FX-6300 parked or unparked?

Comments

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably not. I'd predict maybe a .3-.4 GHz jump at safe levels. Maybe look at a Xigmatek Dark Knight II or watercooling.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Is that the same size as the CPU cooler linked in the OP? Should the one you recommended be able to do a .5 ghz jump?

Also, should the cooler you recommended fit in my build?

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/AJ0

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Both coolers are 120mm in height. The EVO could probably take a .5 GHz jump, but your CPU might run a little warm for my taste. The Xigmatek could probably take a .9 GHz jump and stay under 70 C. You could probably get the EVO and some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and keep your CPU at stable tempts with a .5 GHz overclock.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-silver-thermal-paste-as535g

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe if you get really nice thermal paste you could get away with it.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

When your asking about parked or unparked, what do you mean? If you means is the processor unlocked and can it be overclocked? The answer is yes it can be overclocked.

If you mean does Windows park cores on that processor, the answer is yes. You can disable core parking on it using a program that disables core parking but exercise caution as it will run hotter and cool down slower (when under lighter load).

You can check if cores are parked with the resource manager on the CPU tab along the right with the bar charts. But windows will park and unpark as needed; it's constantly changing so watch the CPU list a few seconds.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm on Task Manager right now, it says my FX-6300 has 1 socket, 3 cores, and 6 logical processors. On the resource manager it says CPU 0 and CPU 1 are unparked while CPUs 2-5 alternate between parked and unparked. So does that mean that my 6 core basically functions as a dual-core for most of the time? If I play a game that requires more than two cores will Windows unpark the CPU to keep up with the game's demand?

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

So, windows is decided to park those cores because they are not needed. it turns them on when they are needed.

Windows will do what it needs to keep up with the games demand. That is not to say it won't make a mistake here and there and park them when it shouldn't but for the most part the system should handle that pretty good. I understand that there is a small perceivable hiccup should the core get parked and need to be reactivated right away.

Again, you can turn off the feature. If you have good cooling, good airflow, an after market heat sink and you play a lot of games, it may be worth turning off.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I'm planning on getting a better cooler after I get a better power supply and redo the cable management.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Is that easy to install and does it come with a 2nd fan? Because the Xigmatek someone else recommended to me has complaints about not coming with a 2nd fan and being hard to install.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube