add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU for 2D animation recommendation

franksummers
  • 28 months ago

Hello,

So, I built this system over 8 years ago, and its been pretty solid I must say. I work off it on a daily basis. I work in 2D animation and basically live in Toon Boom Harmony and the Adobe Suite juggling btw some light AE work, Photoshop and Premiere for edit and rendering (currently still running CS6...because I bought it way back and it fits my needs still).

My system currently has an i7 940. Will I see THAT much of an improvement in Harmony if I upgrade to an i7 7700k? My video card is a GTX760. Or should I just stick with what works? Thanks!

Frank

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 3 points

Wanted to say thanks to the forum. Was able to tear down my old system and upgrade yesterday afternoon. Always start sweating bullets when handling the CPU and installing the heatsink, but it booted right up. The Black Rock fan is MASSIVE and took some finagling, but its hands down quieter than my old Zalman and appears to be doing a better job at cooling. The Zalman kept the old i7 940 around 45 degrees idle, but the Black Rock is keeping the new i7 8700k sitting at 28 degrees idle. I probably could've researched the mobo a bit more to squeeze a bit more options out of it, but its decent.

So thanks again for all the help here. I'm a happy camper!

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not entirely familiar with the programs in question or their optimization, but in general for responsiveness while editing you need single threaded performance, and for rendering you need a high core count or more likely a decent GPU.

If you jumped from the 940 all the way to a 7700K you would see a massive performance increase. According to synthetic tests it would be more than twice as powerful: Link

Synthetic tests generally translate very well to production tasks, so honestly for your line of work I think it's a more than worthy investment. My only question would be if you do a lot of rendering, because then you might potentially want to look at using either Coffeelake or an 8 core Ryzen CPU.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, it certainly seems like I'd get a significant boost if I upgraded my CPU and mobo. Thanks for the suggestion about coffeelake, but it seems that chip is pretty scarce these days. I'm in no rush to upgrade at this moment, so I'll keep my eyes out for it. Thanks!

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

While I consider myself someone who is interested in new tech and CPUs, I am an outsider. So this convo is pointing me in the right direction and helping me research more.

It seems the 8700k, Coffeelake, which is hard to find, apparently will be replaced by Cannonlake soon-ish. However, Cannonlake seems to be aimed at low-powered devices which is not what I am looking for as I am an animator who does some light rendering and editing. Icelake is sometime in 2018. I'm in no hurry to upgrade, but it seems I should skip Cannonlake altogether?

[comment deleted]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Right, waiting for the "next best thing" is always right around the corner. I might wait for the 8700k to become a bit more available, and build my new machine around that. Thanks!

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Just wanted to drop in and say that I love that Frank signed his post. We should all start doing this.

Also the 8700K would be a baller upgrade but probably overkill if you are getting by just fine on Nehalem. I'd sooner recommend an R5 1600 or 1700 which will get you the same cores (more in the case of the 1700) and still a sizeable IPC boost, and is way cheaper.

Gork
  • 28 months ago
  • 2 points

Hah I can tell you right now that sig was purely by accident, but by all means run with it.

Yeah that's one of the things I think about. Right now, I feel the i7 940 setup and treating me just fine so why rock the boat right? Some tasks I do feel are maybe a bit long in the tooth these days for it. For example, right now I have freelance scene in Harmony that is heavy as hell, and sorta brings my system to a crawl. Like I mentioned, its now an 8 year old build that I lean on heavily every day. I feel like maybe its just a matter of time before it decides to just not boot up one morning.

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

I would like to agree with what gorkti200 mentioned, I don't think i7 8700K is the way to go - would rather recommend AMD due availability and multi-threaded workload - R5 1600/R7 1700 is still the way to go with a B350 to save cost or wait a few more month for the refresh

If you insist on Intel, I would even say i5 8400 is better for your usage... though might want to wait for the cheap motherboard out soonish~

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

So I was able to nab an i7 8700K off newegg and a ASUS ROG Strix mobo. From what I've read and form this thread its the way to go.

Any suggestions on RAM? There's so many different types.

Any suggestions on cooling? I have a Zalman from 2009 in my tower right now, but its a bit noisy. I guess I should update that as well? Coolermaster seems to be popular choice, but maybe I should look into water cooling?

Thanks once again for any suggestions!

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

oh I did not know that! Thanks for your reply, and I'll look into the 8700K.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're in no hurry to upgrade I would absolutely recommend waiting until the i7 8700k is more widely available. I'm in the same boat and often use 2D animation software, along with Photoshop, Premiere, Vegas and after effects, in addition to music production.

If you went to a 8-core or above (say Ryzen or the 7820x) you'd see a massive decrease in rendering time -- and that's always nice, waiting for that final render is always brutal. However, the incredibly high single core speed of the 8700k is what really drives the usability of workflow on everything pre-render. So it comes down to a choice: do you want the work to move quickly and smoothly, or do you want the render faster? Now, the 8700k becomes an incredible compromise -- massive single core speed, and 6 cores which, while not setting a rendering time record (look at the i9 or Threadripper for that, and get ready to empty your wallet), but at 6 cores it's a healthy upgrade in render time over previous chips (7700k/6700k). And the difference between your current cpu and the 8700k will literally make you poop your pants, ha ha. It will be massive and worth it.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Hah ok then! I have an Auto-Notify for the 8700K on Newegg right now. Ive gotten the email twice and so far it sold out both times. Ahh well.. I don't do an abundance of heavy rendering so the single core performance will be welcome. Like I said, I'm not in a huge hurry, but I think the 8700k is my target CPU for my next build. This thread's been a bit help.

Now I'm looking at mobos...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube