add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Preferred Linux Flavor

Whoaminow
  • 31 months ago

Folks, I will be setting up a Linux partition on my new build (waiting for the 8700k to become more readily available) and I was wondering what flavor you favor and why. I'm a newbie to Linux but I started out in DOS and have worked extensively with various UNIX boxes over the years. Also, what reference materials would you recommend? Thank you all in advance for your help.

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 4 points

Depends on what you expect out of the OS, I'd say.

• Need it to "just work": Ubuntu LTS releases, or one of the various official flavors of Ubuntu (Ubuntu MATE in particular is a good balance, IMO)
  • Stable platform but older software: Debian, CentOS, openSUSE Leap
  • Cutting edge but may require getting your hands dirty: Fedora, Arch Linux, Antergos, Manjaro
  • "Something different": Mageia, Slackware, Gentoo

With Coffee Lake being a new platform, I'd personally lean towards a more cutting edge Linux distribution, and avoid the more conservative flavors such as Debian, mainly because hardware support may not be up to snuff.

Make sure to consider the desktop environment and interface - you can always change it, but it's nice to pick something that you think you'll like out of the box. The main Linux desktop environments are GNOME, KDE, Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, and LXDE/LXQt.

GNOME is more of a tablet style interface - pretty hit-or-miss, but some people really like it. The others have more traditional interfaces, and I've listed them in approximate order of features and aesthetic, with KDE being the prettiest and most featureful, but also the most resource-intensive, and LXDE/LXQt being the lightest and simplest. All of them are very customizable, so you can change menus, add and remove panels, etc. if the default layout is not to your liking.

As for resources, the Arch Linux wiki is a helpful resource for Linux users, regardless of which distribution they use. DistroWatch is also okay for some stuff. Aside from that, there are various forums around.

What do I use? I jump around from time to time, but I currently use Fedora, which has been working very well for me so far.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

Mint is good for beginning, and Arch along with Fedora are popular. Some distros are more conservative with updates and likely don't have support for the new hardware though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube