add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ASUS Z87M Plus, H87M Pro, Gryphon Z87 (micro atx)?

Rgreen9200
  • 76 months ago

This is my first build and I am attempting an HTPC, that I can also use for our everyday computer. I would like to hook up our HDTV to it and an old monitor, so I can use one to watch tv and the other to get work done, if I don't like the show. I've got the case and am working on narrowing down the other parts, but wanted to get the motherboard before I pick the rest. I may get an internal Ceton Infinitv 4 or 6 tuner and someone recommended a graphics card (7770), but like I said I wanted the motherboard picked before I picked the graphics card. ASUS was recommended for the motherboard by computer guy in town, so I narrowed it down to these 3. I wasn't sure if someone had an opinion on one over the other or their experiences with these boards. If you do, please let me know what you think. Also, my husband was thinking about using Linux (I picked UBuntu), instead of Win 8. Any thoughts on compatibility with these motherboards would be great.

Here is a link to the rest of my proposed parts and a few I already purchased. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Rgreen9200/saved/3Du0

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

If you haven't bought the 7770 already, don't. MSI has a Mini ITX version of the GTX 760, which is a tad better than the r9 270x.

As for your motherboard question, the H87M Pro will not allow for overclocking. If you aren't interested in overclocking, get it. Now, the Z87M Plus and the Gryphon Z87. Motherboards tend to not be a huge deciding factor in performance as long as they support the same things (i.e. PCI 16x slots, SATA 3 ports, etc.), and both the Z87M Plus and the Gryphon Z87 have relatively similar connections (PCIe 3.0 16x, SATA 3), so you probably won't see a raw performance difference. Now, the Gryphon is better for overclocking and has that nice looking "thermal armor", so if you like those features, it may be worth getting for you. However, if they don't appeal to you and you still want to overclock, the Z87M Plus would be the better option.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Have not bought the 7770 yet, so thank you for the suggestion, I'll keep that in mind The reason the graphics card was suggested was for multiple monitors, but looking at the motherboard specs on Asus, it says it supports up to 3 monitors, so could I skip the graphics card altogether (just movies, basic photo editing and maybe some basic video editing; probably one monitor, and a tv)?

I don't have plans to oc,but for 2 bucks more thought the option would be there if someone wanted to.

The main reason for keeping the Gryphon was for this "remote go" option it had. The Gryphon and the h87 had this audio feature "Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound". I assume that the z87 Plus sound would be good enough for a surround sound, so that probably isn't a big factor for us, but the "remote go" thing might be. Like I said I'm new to this, so excuse my ignorance, but is there a way to do the remote thing with the other boards without having it built into the board?

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's some info on "remote go":

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/GRYPHON-Z87/Manual/360514?page=138

Basically, it's not necessary, and not even for speakers. With "remote go", you can control your PC with a compatible device, and share files over the web. For speakers, you could just get ones with a bluetooth adapter and do it that way, or just go wired.

For more information on ASUS boards, message /user/ASUSilluminati. He's the ASUS rep here on PCPP.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

you are spending way to much for this to be just an htpc. you could get the same results for 500 dollars with an apu. now if you do play on doing more then just that (like gaming) then the i5 would work out.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I admit this has gotten more expensive than I planned. It seems like I could buy it cheaper, but I was picky about the case and wanted to try building out.

Anyway, point at hand, I heard Intels were faster than amd, thought it would be better since this would be our main computer as well as htpc. You think amd would be fine though?

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

if this is going to be your main pc for your house then i would go with intel, idk but for me intel is just better in my eyes. ive always had more luck with them as apposed to amd. i was just kinda suggesting amd because most htpc's are secondary.

closing statement: my vote is for intel.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you guys for your help, I really appreciate it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube