add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

450W PSU + GTX 760?

nightrook
  • 29 months ago

Answered! Thanks, all.

Hey guys, I'm thinking of putting an Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II into a build that already has an Antec VP-450.

Supposedly, the GTX 760 requires 30A on the 12V rails to run, and the VP 450 delivers 18A on each of the two +12V rails.

Question 1: Just based off the info above, would the PSU be able to run the GPU? I'm guessing yes because 30A< 2*18A, but I'm not sure if that's how PSUs work.

For the next part, the GPU requires an 8 pin PCIe power connector, and the PSU only has a 6 pin PCIe power connecter and a 4+4 pin ATX12V/EPS12V connector.

Question 2: Will I be able to plug the PSU into the GPU? I'm assuming the 8 pin PCIe connector should be 6+2, which means unfortunately the parts aren't compatible.

And if by some miracle, the answer is yes to the first two questions:

Question 3: Is a 450W PSU enough to run a GTX 760? Assuming that the other parts in the system are: CPU (65W), 2x4GB DDR4, HDD, 3 case fans. Answered: Seems like total power draw would be around 300W.

Thanks for any input. :)

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

Supposedly, the GTX 760 requires 30A on the 12V rails to run, and the VP 450 delivers 18A on each of the two +12V rails.

A GTX 760 is not going to use 360W (30A times 12V = 360W) under any load at any clock speeds it can reach.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_760/25.html

The card by itself reached ~165W (13.75A) at the very highest and was around ~148W average under load.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7103/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-review/16

The whole build with a 3960X used ~340W from the wall at the max which roughly equals around 300W that the system itself is using.

Unless you have some insane CPU or something else stupid ~430W on the 12V rail is plenty for the build.

Question 2: Will I be able to plug the PSU into the GPU? I'm assuming the 8 pin PCIe connector should be 6+2, which means unfortunately the parts aren't compatible.

It will work, you will compatible the 6 and 2 pin together for a 8 pin cable.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

In that case, I'll have to get someone to check the physical cables for me since I'm not there. Thank you so much for the clear answer. :D +1 exp. points. PSU knowledge lvl up!

[comment deleted]
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

So just to clarify, if the Antec PSU has the proper power connectors, it will be enough to power the 760?

[comment deleted]
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm okay. I think I finally get it now. :') Just one last question to make suree I learned something here: so assuming that Antec PSU gives 18A on each of the two 12V rails, you're saying the output would be 18A212V = 432W, and my system has to use less than that in total, right?

Yeah, I think I have to get a new PSU for the lil bro.

[comment deleted]
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm looking at the manual and I have no idea where you're pulling the numbers from. :') I am so lost haha. But! I do understand the theory so at least there's that.

TABLE 1

Output Voltage   Load Max.   Regulation   Ripple & Noise

+12V₁                 18A             ± 5%          < 120 mV

+12V₂                 18A             ± 5%          < 120 mV

+3.3V                 24A              ± 5%          < 50 mV

+5V                    15A              ± 5%         < 50 mV

-12V                   0.3A            ± 10%        < 120 mV

+5Vsb                  2.5A             ± 5%         < 50 mV

source

Also just watched the video, and seems pretty straightforward. Thanks for the link! :) Although the only thing I really learned is what you already said lol.

If you combine those two rails the Amps are getting lower. (depending the PSU)

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you answering no for all, or just the last question?

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

450W is way more than enough for the 760. I believe I read on an anandtech review of the 760 that it, alongside an i7 3930k, drew around 300W.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Yay, that's nice to know. That answers question 3, but can anyone here answer the first two?

[comment deleted]
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Why can't they be combined?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube