add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Water or Air...

xx116xx

72 months ago

So my stock FX-8320 cooler does not have the best performance, and is extremely loud when I'm doing something CPU intensive. I've been looking into some coolers lately. I was wondering if I should go the air route or go with water cooling. I will probably be doing a minor overclock with either one. After looking around I can't decide between the Corsair H55 or the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I know that it's a kind of big price difference, and I want the H55 I would just like to know if you guys think it's worth it. Thanks!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're doing a minor oc, you don't need a water cooler. You will get close to the same temps with the 212 as you will with an h55 or even an h60. So I don't think it's worth it.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Will there be much of a difference in how loud it is? I would really like something quiet, even under load.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm pretty sure the 212 will be quieter, but don't put me to it. As cooperred said, 212 is much more bang for you buck.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright. Put that on my wish list :P

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

Hehe ok :D

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Mid range water coolers aren't worth it imo, as they have comparable performance to mid range air coolers. You'd get much better bang for your buck with the hyper 212

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Agree with all that's being said here, do not get a small mid-range water cooler as it will be more expensive and perform similar to a 212 EVO. In the future you could even buy two decent Static Pressure optimized fans (like Noctuas, Gentle Typhoons, and whatnot) and slap them on the 212 EVO in push-pull for great performance.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, thanks for that info. Do you happen to know how loud the fans that come with the 212 are?

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

As far as I remember not particularly loud. Not ultra quiet either. I think most video card will drown out their sound though, by quite a margin too.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are planning on spending enough to get an entry level corsair hydro series use that same amount for an air cooler

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube