add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which PSU do i need for my build?

Maple_Syrup
  • 29 months ago

Hello there, in a couple of weeks, I'm going to build my first PC, but I'm having trouble deciding which PSU to put in it. My friend J-Quan has recommended me to get a 600-650W PSU, but I think I only need a 550W PSU. Programs I'll be running are like Photoshop, Blender, BeamNG. drive ,etc. I know this probably won't matter but my estimated wattage is 264W. Please leave your suggestions in the comments. Thank you!

Shout out to my friend who helped me along the way: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/J-quan/ My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Maple_Syrup/saved/DvR4CJ

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

ayyyy is me

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

lol

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

The 550W B3 is a potential fire hazard if its like the 450W one. I would suggest avoiding of the whole B3 lineup.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-450-b3-psu,5160-11.html

That build would use under 200W so really any PSU will work. Its going to be a matter of performance and quality instead of wattage.

Also don't spend $30 on fans and then $30 on a case, just buy a better case or save the money. You don't need a aftermarket cooler since the CPU already comes wit ha stock cooler and I would put that money towards a better mouse which will make a huge difference. That CPU is out of stock and is likely going to be so until early 2018 the way things are looking. The RAM is out of stock.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $127.39 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - X370 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $148.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.69 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card $189.99 @ Amazon
Case Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case $38.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan ARCTIC - Arctic F12 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan $5.38 @ OutletPC
Keyboard Redragon - K551 Wired Gaming Keyboard $39.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech - G203 Prodigy Wired Optical Mouse $29.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $791.29
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $761.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-29 14:59 EDT-0400

It has a CPU you can buy, it has a good motherboard (why not get a good Z370 board for a B350 price?), it has RAM that you can buy and its b-die at 1.2V so you can easily get up it up ~3000Mhz 1.35V or so and have it play nice with Ryzen. It has a cheaper HDD that is going to perform the same, a better case with a extra fan for intake since it lacks one, a much better GPU, a mechanical keyboard, and a much better mouse which will make a literal night and day difference when it comes to how you do is games. All of this for only ~$30 more. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $169.38 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - X370 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $90.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.69 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card $189.99 @ Amazon
Case Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case $38.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan ARCTIC - Arctic F12 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan $5.38 @ OutletPC
Keyboard Redragon - K551 Wired Gaming Keyboard $39.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech - G203 Prodigy Wired Optical Mouse $29.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $775.28
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $745.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-29 15:15 EDT-0400

If you are OK with only 8GB of RAM you could grab a 1500X.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

First off, thank you for the feedback! I would prefer to stay with Intel for the processors, but that's maybe because I don't know much about AMD. The mouse and keyboard don't really matter to me. I just chose those ones because they are cheap and have RGB lighting :). I like the 1060 idea but does the AMD core work well with only it's stock fan? That's my main question, but otherwise than that, this is a good build I might consider and modify to my liking. Thank you!

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I would prefer to stay with Intel for the processors, but that's maybe because I don't know much about AMD.

You shouldn't choose parts by brand. You can basically take Coffelake out of the equation due to it being out of stock. That leaves you Kabylake i3's and i5's. the 1300X out performs the i3's and the 1500X is on par with the i5's while having double the thread count.

The mouse and keyboard don't really matter to me. I just chose those ones because they are cheap and have RGB lighting :).

Oh yes they will matter. I thought the same thing and used some crappy $12 mouse similar to yours and a old Emachine keyboard but I upgraded my mouse to a M65 Pro and wow, it made a legit difference in how I played games. It just does its job so much better and made playing games more enjoyable. A keyboard doesn't have the same effect a mouse has but having a mechanical keyboard is a very nice thing to have.

I like the 1060 idea but does the AMD core work well with only it's stock fan?

You mean CPU? Cores are what are inside of the CPU. The 1300X actually comes with a stock fan that is better than Intel's and it has a much better IHS so the CPU transfers heat better and the CPU cooler is good and it can even allow for some light overclocking and even something like a $20 M9a can allow for a near max overclock since the CPU simply doesn't run hot.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

For the 1060, i meant the GTX 1060 :) sorry 'bout that. I get that the mouse is very important to have a good one, but my main work will be digital design, but not that I won't be gaming. My current computer is a mid 2015 iMac with the Magic Mouse 2, and I don't think anything can be worse than that piece of trash!

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

vagabond139 is right bro. i had a seriously s**t mouse that had rgb so i bought it fer $5.00 before i got my razer mamba and it broke after 50 days of using it and was stuck fer a couple of days with another crap mouse that was lying around.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube