add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What happens when you need more power than the PSU gives?

RainOfPain125
  • 29 months ago

Me and my friend were just wondering and we both had different ideas

My idea is that the PSU would just short out all the parts immediately after hitting the peak

My friend said he thinks the PSU would just cut off and all the power would go (and no parts are damaged / shorted / smoke / spark / etc)

Which one is right?

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

After hitting the over-power protection point, the PSU and the rest of the PC shuts down.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Then why do all these people talk about their PSU exploding, sparking, etc?

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

PSUs from Diablotek and other models you get for $5 or $10 are faulty, and can explode for many many reasons. They aren't rated truthfully, so a 200W PSU will have a label with "400W" on it. And in addition, its shutdown circuit won't be configured properly, so that's why it will explode when you actually try to draw 400W from it. They can also explode at any other wattage level because of many possible design fails.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

If OPP works the PSU will simply shut down before any damage is done to it. If it doesn't have OPP or a working one, looking at you Evga B3, it can destroy itself or worse go up in smoke and flames.

Farther info on PSU protections

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube