add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help finding Linux Flavor for Old PC

trend.y
  • 31 months ago

My sister owns a Emachines EL1333G-01W which is pretty old, so we tried installing Ubuntu Mate on it replacing Windows 7 (She wanted to use Linux) and then the next thing you know is that her computer starts randomly shutting off from time to time and insanely slow load times, and the graphics is so old that it can't even use a screen saver without glitching (Integrated Nvidia Graphics). So I think I need a new OS ASAP to replace Ubuntu Mate and fit the spec's of the computer. I am only a beginner.

Your help is appreciated as always.

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

You can try lightweight linux distros. e.g. lubuntu LTS

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Lubuntu will most likely have the same trouble as Ubuntu MATE here, as it's built on the same base and utilizes the same drivers. And yes, I have tested Lubuntu on very old computers, and more often than not, it just doesn't quite hold up - though it used to be better about that. In general, my experience is that Ubuntu and its derivatives are not good for older systems - the base is too fat, and more optimized for newer hardware.

You can try antiX, which has some weird random driver support and can run on systems as old as a Pentium II. Supposedly, I mean - I have never tested this myself, but I have tested it on a Pentium III, and it ran pretty well, so it'll probably fly on the Athlon in that eMachines box. It also actually had drivers for an SiS GPU that I previously had issues with. Might not be my favorite lightweight OS, but it runs fast and handles older systems and weird hardware at least reasonably well. It's also Debian based, so it should be pretty easy to use.

Puppy Linux also comes to mind, but it runs as root all the time, which can be hazardous, and I don't know about driver support here. I generally do not recommend Puppy Linux for the root thing alone, anyway.

If driver issues continue, try falling back to the generic vesa or fbdev drivers - they're slower and only expose basic functionality, but they're at least pretty bulletproof. And if the random shutdowns continue, it could be a hardware issue, though I would hope not. Sometimes, bad drivers also cause random shutdowns.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, thanks for your help though.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Not a problem. :)

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Puppy Linux, that will work

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I wonder if you can run raspbian on it?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube