add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can this 550W PSU support a Vega GPU?

gregrunt
  • 29 months ago

I have the Enermax ERV550SWT. I was wondering if it could support a Vega GPU both in regards to cabling requirements and power supplied. For reference, here's the product brochure (see the last page) and the owner's manual. I'm pretty sure the PSU can support it on both fronts, but I just wanted to confirm. Thanks in advance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor Purchased For $300.00
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For $32.00
Motherboard Biostar - X370GTN Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $82.00
Memory G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Purchased For $170.00
Storage Samsung - 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive Purchased For $200.00
Video Card MSI - Radeon RX 580 8GB ARMOR OC Video Card $304.98 @ Newegg
Case DAN Cases - A4SFXV2-B Mini ITX Desktop Case Purchased For $320.00
Power Supply Enermax - REVOLUTION SFX 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply Purchased For $70.00
Monitor Alienware - AW2518HF 24.5" 1920x1080 240Hz Monitor Purchased For $375.00
Keyboard Corsair - Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard Purchased For $60.00
Mouse Zowie - EC2-A Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For $60.00
Headphones AKG - K712 PRO Headphones Purchased For $175.00
Other CyberPower CST1300ALU 1300 VA / 810 W Simulated Sine Wave UPS Purchased
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2148.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-06 13:14 EST-0500

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

Vega 56, barely. I wouldn't go higher, and I would be raceful with other high power components. I always try to have system load around half the recommended wattage of the PSU, so 275 watts, which your build will surpass. It's not the end of the world though.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, that's generally around where the PSU is most efficient, anyhow. But I got this PSU on a good deal and, honestly, SFX PSUs generally don't go much higher than 650W, so I don't really have much room for improvement anyways. I'm seeing max power draws from benchmarks around 380W, so I think with a 100W CPU and whatever other miscellaneous components draw power I should be fine. Thanks!

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Go for it. But like I said, no higher than Vega 56.

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

The Enermax Revolution is a nice PSU and should work fine here. Vega 56 can use about 300-340W depending on OC being applied.

Do note that your CPU OC will severely suffer due to your form factor. The AM4 mITX motherboards are barely what I would recommend for OCing a Ryzen CPU, even more so for a Ryzen 7 model. Also, the CPU isnt the best choice to go along with your monitor. 240hz is not something that you want to match with a Ryzen CPU but the limiting factor for that 240hz display will likely be your GPU anyways so take it with a grain of salt.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, when I pulled the GPU out of my build, PCPP said it would consume about 159W, which made me wince since I've read that the max TDP Vega 56 has posted, according to some reviews, is around 380W. That cuts it close, but I'll assume that's a fringe case I likely wont hit.

Oh yea, no doubt I won't be able to OC the CPU at all. I knew that going in. The CPU cooler can only dissipate 95W anyways, which is the 1800x's base TDP. I just saw an open-box 1800x at a micro center for a 1700x price at the time, so I jumped on it. I have faith that in some games, with lowered settings, the 1800x and Vega56 could hit 240fps (namely MOBAs and CS:GO). But yea, I'd be kidding myself if I thought Ryzen was at all optimal for high-FPS gaming. I just like the novelty of an all-AMD build and figured I'd support them in the hopes that one day they'll be trading blows with even the top end of Intel/nVidia.

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

CS:GO shouldnt be a problem.

Linus posted benchmarks for the 1800X (most likely OCed though) and it fared pretty well.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ESjL0

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Fortunately for me, Ryzen is terrible at overclocking, generally capping out around 4.1GHz which is just 100MHz over the boost clock, so his overclock likely made little difference.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I've read that the max TDP Vega 56 has posted, according to some reviews, is around 380W.

That is total system power usage, not the TDP of the GPU and TDP doesn't directly equal power usage.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, I don't think the articles I was looking at were total system usage, but you're correct that I should have said "power consumption" as opposed to TDP. This TechPowerUp article and this Tom's Hardware are what I'm referencing. The TH article uses a +50% power limit though when it reaches its highest reading (>300W) and I don't know if that's entirely common to implement on these cards with all I hear about overclocking and undervolting.

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

It has enough wattage for a Vega 64. You will want to undervolt it to decrease heat which decrease thermal throttling which increases performance and decreases power usage.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review/19

460W * .9 (guessing that is roughly the effiency of the PSU they are using) = ~414W it peaked at.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1476-amd-radeon-vega-64/page12.html

Here the liquid cooled Vega 64 uses ~436W.

You have enough wattage especially if you undervolt. I just wouldn't go running something like Furmark and Prime 95 at the same time though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube