add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My PSU is VERY underutilized

CafeenMan
  • 28 months ago

I can be very lazy at times. For example, I never bothered to even attempt to add up the wattage of all the stuff in my system.

Originally it had 3 hdd's, 1 GPU, the five fans that came stock with the case (Silverstone TJ07) and a DVD writer.

I don't remember what PSU I used but this system has blown about three of them so far.

My last PSU (Corsair 1000 W) got pulled out and was being readied for an RMD because my system kept randomly shutting down. By that I don't me BSD, but it just shut off. Turns out that the heat sink fan on the CPU came unplugged so the power supply is fine and is now a spare.

In the mean time I bought a 1300 W PSU because I had 6 hdd's, 1 SSD and dual GPU's in SLI.

So now I have an inline watt meter and typically the PC is drawing about 225 watts. That's my PC, the monitor and my cordless phone base.

The MOST watts I could get the system to draw was just about 325 when doing 3D Mark benchmarks while simultaneously copying a large file from each drive to another drive. So every drive was being read and written to. The only thing that wasn't active was my blu-ray burner.

Any game I play (Skyrim, Fallout 4, etc.) only takes the wattage up to about 295 with it occasionally bumping to just over 300.

So it looks to me like I could have gotten by with 450 (probably pushing it) to 600.

When I was building the system I was in another forum (can't recall the name) and the recommendations were minimum 600 and preferably 750 watts.

So why am I drawing so much less than I thought?

Thanks,

• Paul

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

When I was building the system I was in another forum (can't recall the name) and the recommendations were minimum 600 and preferably 750 watts.

Sorry, but those recommendations were stupid (sorry ignorant).

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your build?

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Right now it's this:

Asus Rampage Formula mobo Intel Q9650 3000 MHz cpu 2x two Radeon HD7800 cards (1 Gb ram) 8 Gb DDR2 400 MHz ram (4 x 2 Mb ea.) 1 512 Gb SSD drive 2 x 5 Tb HD

My PSU took out everything in my system last month - 6 hdd's, 1 SSD, 1 blu-ray, 1 sata card, 1 front panel usb/card reader and 1 external hd

Lots of snap, crackle and pop then smoke then me crying.

So I put it back together with other stuff I had on hand. So fewer hdd's now and no sata card.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah you are WAY overkill on the PSU. Even with two GTX 1080 TI's or Vega 64's you wouldn't need a 1300W PSU.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/5625/amd-radeon-hd-7870-ghz-edition-radeon-hd-7850-review-rounding-out-southern-islands/17

This drew 289W from the wall and the system itself was using around 260W with a more power hungry CPU. I'm not surprised that it used like 325W.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/24.html

The card itself under stress used about 95W at the max

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Well now I know. I thought all those hdd's and the second card would make my system really hungry for wattage.

At least the psu is smart and isn't drawing a lot of energy it's not using.

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

Well now I know. I thought all those hdd's and the second card would make my system really hungry for wattage.

Welcome to the world of power supplies, where every component actually needs much less power than is normally expected.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Safety Factor!

General SF within electronics (of course dependent on usage) is 1.5x of expected max

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

Each HDD uses such a small amount of power (5-20W).

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube