add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrade... I made some bad decisions

Kendozin

22 months ago

I am self taught and I have built one computer so far, but didn't choose the best parts. My current components are an i7-6700k and an RX 470 with 16GB of DDR4-2133 Memory. I didn't choose the best motherboard and I am looking for a good microATX board for ~$150 that looks good and is only black/gray. I am also planning on getting a Corsair Air 240, and also a GTX 1070 ti FE. Also wondering about good 144Hz 1080p monitors around, if anyone has any suggestions about that. By the way, I am going with a blue/black theme with my build, if anyone is wondering.

Summary: Any good z170-z270 boards that look good without the red accents (around $150 please, maybe slightly more or slightly less)

Any good deals on higher frequency RAM (like 3000-3600MHz?)

Worth it for the 1070 ti for 50$ more?

Any good cheap 144Hz 1080p Monitors (I am looking to buy 2 of them because I like have 2 for multi-tasking, and I want both of the same refresh rate)

Good quality blue LED 120mm case fans that are cheap?

Current Parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gYQdKZ

The questions above are for if there are any better deals or problems I should know about with the parts in this list (I already have the keyboard and mouse, don't worry about those).

I probably won't be buying these all at once, just incremental upgrades as I gain the funds for them. I was thinking of upgrading by mobo, CPU cooler, PSU, SSD, and Case at the same time, but I am not quite sure just yet. I would like to get all of the time consuming parts to assemble in one swoop, but I might end up just getting everything minus the new SSD, and replacing that later on if I really need to.

Also, wondering about the best company for custom cables. I was looking at CableMod, but I don't know much about any other companys.

Anyways, sorry if I was all over the place. Thanks for reading!

Any input or feedback would be appreciated!

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Assuming that the ASUS board is the one you have now, then you don't need to change the motherboard as it's a really good one.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

It isn't the one I have currently. I was considering upgrading to that one, but it's pretty expensive.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

What motherboard do you have currently?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

hehe... Well... I guess there is no other way to put this, but I am quite an idiot sometimes. I got too excited and didn't know as much about motherboards as I should have before I ordered this one. I was mostly focused on pricing and compatibility when I got it, but I got this one: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rfQRsY/asrock-h110m-hds-r30-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-h110m-hds-r30

I keep looking over at my computer (it has a window) and looking at the "H110M" letters on the mobo and my brain just goes "..." now that I know more. I guess I've learned now, but I still don't have much experience.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, not a great motherboard.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/WkRFf7,XDfmP6,mpM323/ Here are some options.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I am thinking I will probably end up going to the ASUS STRIX. It just looks so cool, man.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube