add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Temporarily disable Snap Assist in Windows 10

jasontv
  • 30 months ago

So I got a really nice 34" monitor that lets me fit 4 documents at once on screen. The problem is every time I drag a window to the left or the right Windows wants to "snap" it so that I can have two documents open. If I try and resize and make a window smaller it makes the other window bigger. There is no room for the other windows! When I googled this feature I get a lot of sites explaining how to turn the snap off for good, but I don't want to do that. I want the snap feature 90% of the time. Is their a modifer or hotkey that lets me temporarily disable Snap Assist so I can set up my workspace? Or can I create a virtual desktop that has Snap Assist disabled while leaving Snap Assist on for the other desktop?

Oh, and to be clear, having four documents with one in each corner is not a productive solution since most of the time these are Word and PDF documents that I am using.

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Right-click the taskbar. Hit "Show windows side-by-side". I think this is still there in Windows 10.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

For some reason that doesn't put them side-by-side. It place them above-under in groups of three up to a grid of 9.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

How many virtual desktops do you have?

There was a great way to do this through Windows Task Manager in Windows 7, but I think it was removed. Let me check.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I only have one desktop. I don't use virtual desktops because I never figured out a workflow where I wouldn't want access to all open apps.

If I enable it can I do it? Can I turn off snap for one virtual desktop but leave it enabled for another?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

To disable Snap Assist in Windows 10, launch the Settings app from your Start Menu, or by searching for it with Cortana or Windows Search. From the Settings window, click System.

In the System Settings window, find and click Multitasking in the column on the left. Under the “Snap” category on the right, find the option labeled When I snap a window, show what I can snap next to it and set it to Off. This will disable Snap Assist in Windows 10.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

And that only disables it for the movement of one window? I don't have to go back and turn it back on? Because I only want to disable it for the movement of four windows once or twice a week.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to disable the entire snap to system click OFF the "Arrange windows by dragging them to the sides or corners of the screen". That will disable the entire feature while you work on your documents and then just turn it back on when you done. As far as I'm aware there is no shortcut keys for that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube