add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time building and confused about how much PSU is necessary

brenden.gerber
  • 28 months ago

So here is my potential system

Intel i7-8700k (would like the capability to slightly overclock and turbo to near 5ghz) Corsair H80iGT Gigabyte z370N Wifi mini ITX motherboard 2 16GB sticks of DDR4 1 HHD 7200rpm 1 SSD around 250GB Geforce GTX 1080 GB Superclocked, core clock 1708MHz, boost clock 1847 Mhz, Memory clock 10,000 MHz normal peripherals, gaming keyboard and mouse, maybe an external hard drive for video sometimes

The power supply I am considering is the COrsair SF 600W 80+ gold

The reason I need to go the SFX route is because my case is quite small so I need a thin PSU. There is a more powerful SFX-L by silverstone, but the corsair has just gotten amazing reviews. When I use outervision.com it puts my load wattage at about 485W and Recommends a PSU wattage of 533. In theory my 600W option should work right? I am worried because a lot of people say you should go 40% to 50% over what your system maxes at. I would love to just get a 700W, but then I get into space issues etc. Do you all think I will be okay with the 600W option for this setup?

Thanks for your help!!

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

600w is fine. It'll power your PC properly.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Even if you went with a 500 watts psu and it will be more than fine.... The SF600 is an excellent psu.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

The previous comments are correct that 600 watts, or even 500 watts would be plenty. But you need to know that going off user reviews is a horrible idea. These reviewers don't strip, stress, and test these units. They can only tell you it worked for them. But this says nothing about the actual build quality, voltage regulation, or protections that are in place. You should use a professionals review when dealing with PSUs and most other PC components. JohnnyGuru is a good one, and so is AnandTech or HardOCP[H].

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I did look at the professional reviews especially for the PSU, but as far as I could tell the two were getting basically the same results. User reviews on the other hand said that the Corsair was way quieter, and also that the silverstone was shipping with a lot of defective units which probably says something of the build quality. I have seen JohnnyGuru, but I'll have to go check out the other two you mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions, it's been a steep learning curve!

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem! Enjoy the climb.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I will!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube