add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1080 Ti SLI PSU?

b60khansen
  • 28 months ago

I was looking at getting either the EVGA SuperNOVA 850 T2 or the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3. I will probably upgrade to a TR, i9, or 8700k with 1080 TI in SLI (upgrade to Volta when it comes out so future proof in mind) Will the 850w meet my needs or should I opt for the 1000w?

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Thread ripper and a 8700K are vastly different in terms of what they are geared towards and power consumption. Assuming this is for gaming Threadripper will be a downgrade from your i7 7700K and a i9 will be a side grade at best and a i7 8700K will be a minor upgrade so while its going to bring not much if any extra performance the 8700K would be your best bet.

So you would be looking at a 750W or 850W PSU for your needs.

Also don't get those PSU's. You can get a 850W Seasonic Focus for $70 after MiR which is just as good as those PSU's and quieter and if you want the best of the best I would get a Seasonic Prime.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jWFXsY/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-850w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-850fx

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dqgPxr/seasonic-prime-gold-850w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-850gd

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been eye balling the 850W G2 for awhile now. They are currently on sale. I also do video editing and virtualization so that's why I was considering the alternatives.

https://www.evga.com/BF2017/

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I would decide which CPU / Platform you go for and if you plan to overclock significantly. A i9 7980XE for example overclocked and under a heavy load with an overclocked pair of 1080Ti's in SLI under a heavy load will consumer significantly more power then stock 1080Ti's with a 8700k for example.

I imagine however if you go for a i9 with pair of 1080Ti's in SLI, the difference of $30 between the 850w G2 and 1000w G2 will be trivial either way or even $119 for the 1000w G3 relative to the cost of the entire build.

I imagine Volta will be broadly similar to Pascal in terms of rated power draw, 165w-180w for mid-range and 250w for the higher end chips for Reference cards and a bit more for aftermarket preclocked cards.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input. I think I will go with the i9-7920X/40X. I went ahead and got the 850 G2. Sounds like it should work just fine.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah should be fine with all but the most heavy overclocks.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Get an at least 1250W gold certificated PSU, never cheap out on PSU. An overclocked 8700K will draw 400W, an overclocked 1080ti will draw 400W too and maybe even more. You don't want to see in the middle of heavy load computer just shut down due to power surge.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Using a 450W PSU atm and have OC both my 7700k to 5GHz + 1080 Ti. Never thought to actually check the usage even though I have a kill-a-watt monitor lol. Never shut off or had any problems with it though. I know they say PSUs are most efficient when utilizing 50% usage and always thought to get a PSU with 2x whatever total system load is. I'm not going to overclock this time and if I do it will be minor at most. I think the EVGA 850 G2 will be okay, and since it's already on it's way... I just might stay with the 7700k and only add a 2nd 1080 Ti. Though 44 PCI lanes would be nice...

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I know they say PSUs are most efficient when utilizing 50% usage Even if it was true, why does it matter enough to buy a 2x bigger PSU?

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Why can't I edit my own comment to fix formatting? Weird.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Comments can't be edited after one hour.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on your load. It's your choice after all.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube