add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help set it straight for me. Windows 10 OEM vs Retail

PCNoob0419
  • 30 months ago

Hey all. I recently bought Windows 10 for my newly built PC. I got it from Best Buy for $125. I did this to save time on shipping, but I didn’t realize at the time I got them Retail version instead of OEM.

I’ve done my best to educate myself and it sounds like even the OEM version license can be transferred to a new motherboard. I don’t have a working DVD drive and the Retail version has USB install. I know the OEM aversion doesn’t.

I haven’t installed the OS yet. But I’m leaning towards just keeping the Retail version instead of returning it to order the OEM version online.

Just wanted some input on this. Any opinions? Shed some light on this? Can the OEM version be purchased at a store?

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say just use what you have. Yes you could get the OEM and save a couple bucks but it probably isn't worth the hassle. Good to see people are starting to understand the Win 10 license is tied to the user and not the hardware.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I just bought a Windows 10 Home Retail version with the USB Flash Drive for $139.99 from Mike's Computers.

They had the best deal on a retail version that I could find. I also got a $5 discount for signing up for their email newsletter, and free shipping as it was over $40.

I like saving money too, but I also wanted as few problems as possible, and the full version seemed to be the best way to go about this.

I plan on adding more hardware to my computer in the near future, so I didn't want to get trapped with some OEM version I couldn't install.

Stick with the Full, Retail version - you'll be glad you did.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

See the thing is, and I forgot to mention in my OP, that’s apparently false. But there’s not enough consensus on this for me to have confidence about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/7g898z/so_lets_talk_windows_licenses_for_a_bit/

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

That's right. A new Windows 10 build, 1151, allows OEM licences to be reactivated on a new motherboard. The older builds do not.

Why do you want an OEM version anyways? OEM versions were targeted at computer manufacturers, while retail are targeted at general consumers.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I like saving money and OEM is cheaper. Pretty much it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube