add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Attack of the Coil Whine

mememan2k16
  • 28 months ago

Hi PCPP, I have a pretty serious question: So my PSU (EVGA SuperNova NEX750B) is/has been reliable since the 5 or so months this system has been built. Never any complaints, etc. However, when in the menus of overwatch, there is a small detectable electronic whine which i'm assuming to be coil whine. The noise changes depending where i am (settings menu, main menu, in queue for game) and is in no other game. This surprises me because I play GTA on max settings, as well as a few other demanding games like Destiny 2 and more. I have pretty much 99% confirmed it's the PSU as the sound gets louder the closer to the bottom-back of the case. I read lots of Amazon reviews about similar EVGA PSU's being either DOA or just exploding, and i'm a little scared. Would it be alright to continue with this one in my 1800+$ build or go the "SAFE" route and pick up something more "reliable"?

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

The EVGA NEX was always a mediocre unit at best. It was overshadowed by slightly more expensive but much better EVGA G2 at the imte. Nowadays, the Seasonic Focus Gold is even better with lower prices right now.

If you want to ensure you dont run into any issues, you could change your PSU.

This is my recommendation although depending on your list, it might not be enough.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WrNypg/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

From testing I can incur max power useage to be around 440 at worst since i've got: stock 7700k running on 2 120mm fans, one 140mm, a hyper 212 evo, a ftw 2 evga 1080 and a nxzt phantom 410 case. 750w was overkill i guess i didn't really look into reliability. Oops.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube