add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will this PSU be enough for my build

newbie001
  • 28 months ago

Im new at building pc and confuse if an evga g2 550w 80+ gold fully modular PSU will be more than enough to power my pc. it will have i7 7700k, h100i v2 liquid cooler, asus prime z270 mobo, 16gb ddr4-2666 or -3000 (2 × 8gb), 125gb ssd, 1tb hdd, geforce gtx 1060 6gb and corsair carbide series spec alpha with 4 120mm fans. Im on a tight budget and it was on sale for. $89.99C. I tried using online psu calculators and some says 550w, and a few says 650w.

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

While its not possible but in theory you could do SLI with two GTX 1060's and overclock everything and still have enough wattage to give you a idea of how far a 550W PSU will get you. You would be lucky to use more than ~250W.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Its just that i often see other builds with the same parts have 650w or higher psu. I was wondering why.

• 28 months ago
  • 3 points

Some likely scenarios for the overwhelming majority of them:

1. The builders overestimated the actual power requirement of their components, thinking 550W would be cutting it close.

2. They were under the false impression that buying a PSU so they are pulling 50% of the PSU's capacity under load for efficiency is something worth pursuing (hint: doing this you may actually have worse power consumption due to efficiency differences on average unless you only ever have your PC under such a load), while simultaneously overestimating their actual power requirement.

3. The PSU was on sale, or is a lower quality and so lower-priced model vs. a similarly-priced, better 550W and was purchased because of one of the above and/or not being aware of the differences.

4. Any combination of the above.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

The PSU was on sale

Sometimes a higher wattage model costs less than the lower wattage model of the same series because of sales or rebates.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

SeaSonic FOCUS series comes to mind.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha. Appreciate the help guys!

[comment deleted]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

nice thanks. what if i overclock both my cpu and gpu? can 550w still hanlde it?

[comment deleted]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube