add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Using an old hard drive with new parts?

DestructiveDonut
  • 26 months ago

My original computer stopped working (fans and motherboard were 15 years old), so I decided to build a PC. Keep in mind that this is my first build. Once I get the CPU, which is getting shipped right now, I'm going to start assembling the computer. My question is if I use the hard drive from the original PC that died, will it still have all the files available and the OS will still be there? If I use the old hard drive with all new parts, will it have all the files; something like that? It's just that I never got to save all my files, which are kinda' important, so I was wondering if I would still be able to retrieve them. I'm a big noob at computer building, so sorry if this is a stupid question. I already have a hard drive if I'm not able to get access to the original hard drive.

Thanks.

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I doubt your old hard drive is SATA if it's 15 years old. So, you would need a converter from PATA to SATA most likely.

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Computer-Drive-Interface-Adapter/dp/B008X8NK0I

I wouldn't recommend you keep using that HDD due to its age, except for maybe low access non-crucial data.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube