add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can't save to 2nd SSD or HDD, they're not listed.

cryohawk

25 months ago

As my title states....only thing that I have is my local C: when I installed my OS I wanted it on my SSD and think I set that up in the bios that way...now when I download games I cant save it anywhere but my local C: In my device manager they show up but I when I browse to save a file they are no where to be found...what am I doing wrong!

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

My first guess would be that they're not formatted.

If using windows 10, go to the start menu, hit "all apps" on the left bar, and scroll down to "windows administrative tools" and select "computer management." (Or just search for "computer management.")

Then go to "disk management" under the "storage" tab. That will show all the available drives and whether they are formatted.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

ok so they say unallocated what does this mean how would I format it then?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

You should see disk 0, disk 1 ext. To the right of each of those is a bar showing the drive's partitions, (or lack thereof,) right click on that and choose the "Format" option.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

ok so when I do that it is just gray and wont let me format it...I wish I could post a picture of it so help show better

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Just to clarify - are you saying these drives were showing and aren't anymore? Or is it a new system and they just haven't been initialised and formatted yet?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I built my first build and after starting up I went into my BIOS all 3 were there...I set one as the primary for the OS to be installed on...now when I download games and try to save the location I can only see the one drive local C:. My second 500Gb SSD and 1Tb HDD I cant see to save too but in my disk manager they are listed there...is there a special formatting I need to do that I am not aware of?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I see. Yep disks come completely blank (unallocated) from the factory. You just need to create a new partition. Unless you have something else in mind, just create a single NTFS partition on each disk.

I think if I remember rightly, it should also ask you if you want to initialise the disk (technically this means create a partition table). It may ask you whether you want to create an MBR or GPT disk. GPT is preferable, as it has advantages over MBR - like better fault tolerance and more flexibility with regards to partitions.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

ok so I'm trying to do this and on both the drives the only thing that is coming up when I right click on the 'black bar' are: new simple volume, new spanned volume, new stripped volume, properties, help....when I click on the "disk 0" I get new spanned volume, new stripped volume, convert to dynamic disk, convert to mbr disk, properties, and help...is there something I'm not doing perhaps in the bios I'm forgetting?

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

You want "new simple volume".

Don't do anything to your OS disk (the one which contains partitions including "C"). It's the unallocated disks you should be working on.

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

You Sir are my new best friend! thank so much that's exactly what needed to be done and now I can save to them thnk you sooooooo much!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube