add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Randomly loud PSU

Frank_Daly
  • 26 months ago

Built my pc in august so 4 months ago. No problems since then working fine. Out of the blue 10 minutes ago it got really loud. After a bit it has decreased in noise but still very loud. It is the PSU I believe. Not sure why it is or what to do. Please help me work it out.

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Fans typically get noisy when their bearings begin to wear out. If you bought your PSU new 4 months ago, that is far too soon for the fan to go bad. It should still be under warranty. I would contact the manufacturer to get the RMA process underway. Do not open the PSU if it is still under warranty because that will void it.

If your PSU is out of warranty, you can attempt to replace the fan. The power leads coming off the fan can either have a prong connector (like case fans) which plug into the PCB of the PSU, others have the power leads soldered to the PCB. If the former, replacing the fan is as easy as removing the old one and putting the new one in. If the latter, you will need to be handy with a soldering iron.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you sure it's your psu? Could it be your CPU/GPUs cooling system? Do you have an optical drive that it could be loading a disc? Do you have a high speed HDD that could be spinning up?

A link to you part list possibly?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I would check your fan curves, I think what you are hearing is a temperature spike when your PC heats up and it upbruptly kicks the fans up to a much higher speed, but by that point the temperature has gone down so it just slows them back to normal speed. What you could do, go through your fan settings and set each one individually to max rpms (full speed) and see if you recognize which one is making the noise. You shouldn't have control over your psu fans, so if you don't recognize the sound when messing with the fans it could still be that. However, you should also try copying and moving around large files on your PC, as that sounds could be you hard drive

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't been on pcpp for a little bit and am only seeing this now so thanks for that it seems like the perfect plan.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Hope it works, good luck.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube