add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
jheerlyn
  • 26 months ago

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/rfNhnn

Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU Cooler MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Toshiba - P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Mini Video Card Corsair - 100R Silent ATX Mid Tower Case Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter

I built this PC yesterday, after installing everything and making sure everything was plugged in correctly I powered the system on, got into my BIOS, set the RAM speed to 3200, then put my windows install USB in, entered the product key, finished installing windows and then about 5 or 10 minutes after windows had finished installing the system powered off without any warning.

I tried to turn it back on, but it wouldn't power on straight away it would take about 3 minutes before it would turn back on, at which point it lasts about 45 to 90 seconds before doing the same thing.

I noticed right when it cuts power the EZ Debugger LED for the CPU indicating a cpu fail lights up, could this be because the heat sink is not seated properly, and if so could this have damaged my CPU considering it took 15 - 20 minutes before it failed the first time, and now it takes so much less time?

We did have a lot of trouble trying to get it seated properly, it took 5 plus tries before we got it feeling solidly connected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am confused as to whether this could be a simple re-seat the heat sink, or whether the PSU or Motherboard could be faulty?

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

It might be your RAM

Set it back to 2133 (or 2666 since that’s what the 8700k supports), make sure it boots into Windows fine (should have done this first)

If you can’t get into the BIOS, remove the CMOS battery for 5-10 minutes

I would make sure the heatsink is installed correctly, but it should be fine. If it wasn’t you’d end up with thermal throttling / shutdowns after awhile

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I would check that the CPU cooler is well fitted on the board.

I would clear the CMOS, and would not overclock the ram at first.

I would examine for how long the computer stays on without shutting down.

First, on low usage applications like surfing the net, watching a movie or listening music.

If the computer doesn't shut off, i would start to stress test the system.

Clear the CMOS:

• Unplug your computer for the wall outlet.
  • Press the power button of your PC for 30 sec.
  • Clear the CMOS according to the boards manual.
  • Reconnect and start up your computer.
  • Go into the BIOS and be sure that all settings are at default.

Note: Oh! i didn't saw BetrayedPredator post!

Yeah more or less, what he said above. ;)

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

BetrayedPredator and mark5916 Thank you for your help in these comments

Today I went to a hardware shop to buy some alcohol for cleaning the thermal paste from the cpu, while I was there I spotted a Corsair 650 watt power supply and thought why not so I got that too, just in case.

A few people I talked to had said they think it almost definetly would be the PSU

unplugged the EVGA PSU, put the Corsair one in, I am currently typing this comment on my new PC.

Everything is running great, build is now complete and on my desk.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube