add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Quieter case fans?

tavisc

70 months ago

Anyone have any recommendations? Right now I'm running Corsair AF120's but they're a bit too loud for my build (HTPC.) The stock fans that came with my Bitfenix are quieter, but they don't move nearly as much air. I'm also looking for something LED-less. Any suggestions?

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

noctua makes some really nice fans but they are ugly as sin

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I HATE the way Noctua's look. I know they're good fans, but I can't really get over their looks. They're also a bit on the expensive side.

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you get the AF120 Quiet Editions? Those are supposed to be pretty quiet. Also, consider getting a fan controller, that can lower speeds and noise levels without spending too much.

If you want a fan recommendation, I think the Cooler Master Sickleflow with a fan controller may be a good choice. I just think a fan controller would be best in this situation.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't, I got the performance edition. Looking back on it, the Quiets probably would have been a better choice.

I also don't have room for a controller.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the quiet editions and they're very nice and well... quiet. Though I forgot about the voltage step down adapters and accidentally threw them away.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you tried setting the fan speeds in the BIOS to a noise level you are happy with? You have alot of control using the BIOS settings such as what temp the fans will speed up and such. Plus it is free. The stock EVO fan can be loud as well under load.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been fiddling with it, but I can't get it to do much. I can't hear a change even when I move the speed from max to min.

Speaking of, do I have to have 4 pin fans in order to take advantage of the motherboards speed controllers? It's been 15+ year since my last build, and I've forgotten a lot of info.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

4 pin is PWM, which gives you a lot more control, but by using the differences in voltages for 3 pin, you can still change the speed

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Xigmatek has been my go-to for case fans.

The XLF series is great for low noise with decent airflow. The XAF are higher airflow, more intended for replacing heatsink fans; not as quiet but not bad and move a lot of air.

I've used the XLF 120MM/140 fans in several builds, can't even hear them running (using "standard" speed settings in BIOS).

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I'll look into those. Only downside (for me at least,) is that it looks like all the XLF series come with LED's. I'm not a huge fan of having my rig lit up.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube