add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Possible graphics card problem? Need help

owenm2000
  • 26 months ago

Just built a new PC and everything was working fine for a while but suddenly while on it everything shut off and I was confused as to why. I immediately turned it back on and everything powered up but nothing showed up on the monitor. I tried removing the ram, changing ram slots, etc and nothing worked. I did put my hdmi cable into the motherboard directly instead of through the graphics card and it did show up on the monitor and load up windows. So obviously my graphics card isn’t working right but i don’t know what’s wrong, I took it out and placed it back in but still nothing. Everything is compatible and nothing was previously broken as it had been working fine for a week or so. Thanks

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

What were you doing right before the GPU broke?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

On the main menu of PUBG.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm.

What was running in the background? What were you doing just before booting up PUBG?

Also, what are your specs?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Discord, steam(obv), battle.net launcher were all running.

i5 8600k Asus Prime Z370-P Sapphire R9 390 Kraken x62 1tb HDD EVGA 650W PSU

I had just finished a game of PUBG and had just returned to main menu. Session was anywhere from 30mins to an hour long.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm.

Ok. It looks like your GPU entered heat death, or melted solder. You will need a replacement GPU.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe some of the cables to/from the graphics card aren't plugged in all the way. You might have contact issues (that is, some of the metal inside the cables isn't connected even though the cables are pressed together). Try unplugging the cables from the GPU and plugging them as far in as they can go.

Otherwise, Captaincow is probably correct.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Your GPU obviously encountered a problem, similar case happened to a close friend of mine twice. Two different graphics cards but same issue (GTX 970 and 1060). We still don't know what could possible cause this because the issue occurred on newly bought cards. This may be a power issue or not, or just sheer bad luck. He had both cards shipped back for replacement.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube