add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 8 key will stay Windows 10 after reinstall?

xXRaidenXx
  • 29 months ago

So I've got this 4 year old PC currently running Windows 10 right now. It is running Windows 10 because the Windows 8 license key I got for it 4 years ago did the free OS upgrade back when Windows 10 was released. It is now 2018 and the free upgrade is no longer available, I'm about to do a full wipe on the SSD in which the Windows is installed on, I'll be using the same license key from 4 years ago, my question is: is the Windows 10 upgrade permanently linked to my license key or no? If I reinstall windows using that license key will I be able to get Windows 10 again or Windows 8?

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't do a full wipe. Upgraded Windows 10 has a notorious issue with full wipes. Instead, use Windows 10's "Reset my PC", which restores the OS to a brand new state.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't do a full wipe. Upgraded Windows 10 has a notorious issue with full wipes.

Not true.. If he activated his key, there wont be any issues.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

No, that is the way it should be. But some users forget, and sometimes (not too often, but often enough it becomes an issue) the activation servers screw up and the computer think Windows is activated when it actually isn't.

Fixable, but that necessitates a call to MS support, which no one likes. Plus, it's easier to reset the PC rather than go through the reboot and USB drive shenanigans.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this "reset my pc" method similar to full wipes in terms of actually removing contents? Because apparently certain ways of formatting the drives don't actually delete the stuff on it, just "hides" them. I want to actually delete. Thanks.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

This "reset my PC" removes everything and saves it in a compressed file (every 64Gb gets compressed down to 2 or 3Gb) and saves it. You may restore to this backup within 30 days, then it will be automatically deleted. Other than that, the process is identical to a full wipe.

You may choose to remove the backup early.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I would like to see the compression algorithm that compresses a data to 5% of its original size.

Note: there isn't any compression algorithm that does that to any generic data. Not lossless compression anyway.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Create a usb installer with latest version of windows 10.. You can do that from Microsoft page and do a clean installation. Obviously when creating it, select the same version of windows.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

He is better doing a clean installation of windows... You're just bringing negative ideas.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

There's a small chance.

But.... In case something goes wrong, here is the phone number to call when activating Windows: 800-718-1599.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Hold on it seems the topic has been diverted, my windows 8 license key will still give me windows 10 today right?

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

my windows 8 license key will still give me windows 10 today right?

If you updated to windows 10 while it was free and activated your key in windows 10.. YEP. If you didn't it wont work.

Take into consideration, that if its an OEM key, it will NOT work with a computer that has a different motherboard.

You shouldn't have issues. I did that same process with my brother's laptop and after activating, I went ahead and did a clean installation of windows 10 and everything went fine.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

You never had to activate anything. Any Windows 7/8/8.1 key will activate for Windows 10. Just install Windows 10 from scratch and punch in your W8 key when it asks or after installation is complete. This is assuming you're side-grading to the same version. (IE: Win8 Home -> Win10 Home, Win7 Professional/Ultimate -> Win10 Pro, etc)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube