add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Voice chat not working in most games

carto738
  • 26 months ago

Voice both input and output (receiving people's voice and speaking to people) does not work in the following games : Fortnite, PUBG, Rainbow Six Siege and more. At first I thought it was just a bug with pubg and fortnite, but today when I played siege where voice worked previously, I knew something was wrong.

Since I played siege, I have reinstalled my os on an ssd but the broken voice on pubg and fortnite was from before. I am running windows 10 and have a linksys dual band router. I've tried most fixes for those games so I am guessing it's software related. Windows 10 is pretty much fresh. Oh and I also have hyperx cloud 2 headphones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I thank you all for your support and answers though this topic remains unsolved. I've gotten more help here than anywhere else or guides.

Things I've tried:

Reinstalling OS
Turning off Discord (plus startup)
Verifying files
Moving game from one drive to other
Making sure audio device and mic are set as default + disabled all others
Making sure audio device is default in game
Updating headphone drivers
Forwarding ports (as per the rainbow six siege guide)
Disabling firewall
Praying
Reinstalling RealTek Audio driver from a random site

After much help from Vivox, I believe I fixed my problem. I can't do extensive testing now, but it does work for pubg.

I don't know what the problem is, but it was fixed by configuring my dns server addresses to googles addresses. This is what I did.

** "Change the DNS server addresses on your router to use the Google DNS servers located at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Or you can change the DNS server addresses locally on a Windows 10 PC as part of a Network->Internet Protocal v4 property. "**

This seems to be the solution for me. Another thing people can try is to make sure to disabled SIP ALGI

EDIT: Came back to these forums after a long time and found that this thread has 30k views meaning a lot of you are having similar troubles. I made a steam guide back when I fixed my issue with ALL of the fixes I tried and listed them and how to do them. Check it out and see if any of it works for you, otherwise, good luck. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1278512154

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 3 points

Have you tried:

1. Recording something with your microphone using Voice Recorder?
  2. Making a Skype Call or other voice chat application?
  • 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya my voice works with discord and everything else but games. It also works in some games like csgo. I think it may be a problem with the voice software but it shouldn't be broken.

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

To add to this, be sure that your mic is set as your default communication device. Then, go into steam settings select detect hardware changes. It should detect it and work.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you play all of these games via the Steam Client? Maybe something is messed up in the Steam settings. Can you check it out? Maybe voice communication is disabled there.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

No fortnite is non steam and csgo works with mic

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I would check in the game, what the default sound device is. I would check it in Windows too. Both places should have your microphone as the default sound input device.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

They do. But another problem s that I am unable to hear anybody as well. An odd thing is that my friend in fortnite is able to hear people but he can't speak. I'm thinking there is an issue with the voip software should it be universal to those games as I've already checked my internet and forwarded the necessary ports so I don't think that's an issue; besides, it worked before on one game.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I just want to point out that my mic will sometimes have issues because of Discord. If Discord is in your startup, disable it and reboot your computer. If your mic works now, then there's likely a software conflict.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I have also thought of this, so I killed the process before trying siege but it didn't work (as well as forwarding my ports). If you think letting it not start up will do something more then I'll try it.

(Normally I would do it tomorrow after I shutdown and boot, but I just got an ssd so no need)

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Sometimes killing a process isn't enough to fix whatever glitch might have happened. Easiest way to know for sure is doing a clean boot.

Also, can I just say I saw your edited post?

Praying

LOL. Nice.

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

I have contacted both Ubisoft support and vivox, so I hope to receive a reply soon. I am in an active search to find and fix these problems not only for me but for everyone else experiencing it. I will relay all information I gather here.

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

Fixed Problem!

After much help from Vivox, I believe I fixed my problem. I can't do extensive testing now, but it does work for pubg.

I don't know what the problem is, but it was fixed by configuring my dns server addresses to googles addresses. This is what I did.

** "Change the DNS server addresses on your router to use the Google DNS servers located at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Or you can change the DNS server addresses locally on a Windows 10 PC as part of a Network->Internet Protocal v4 property. "**

This seems to be the solution for me. Another thing people can try is to make sure to disabled SIP ALGI

I will reply if everything works.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

How do you "change the DNS server addresses locally on a Windows 10 PC as part of a Network->Internet Protocal v4 property"?

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out.

For those that find this comment later go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center

Click on the router you are connected to and click properties. Find Internet Protocol V4 and click properties and chang it like he states above.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Did this work for you?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Sadly, no...

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

:( Did you disable sip algi?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you do that in the same properties?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

update directx as it has sound properties

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I have directx 12 and this is pretty much a fresh install so it should be definitely up to date.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Bump pls :(

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Still found out nothing except mic is disabled in rainbow six siege, idk why.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Bump... This has been really affecting my gaming experience.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

At least I'm not the only one...

Can you give me some details about your case? I'd like to see if we have things in common so it can help narrow down the problem.

I.E System/peripheral information

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I also have this problem. It's been about the last week. I only play PUBG and I've noticed for me that the voicechat in PUBG works occasionally in the lobby but not once my boots hit the ground in the actual map.

I did see in one video that pubg uses a third-party voice chat program called Vivox. Fortnite and Rainbow Seige 6 also use Vivox. I would hazard a guess then that the fault lies in Vivox.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. I contacted ubisoft support so I hope they'll help. I also agree that it is definitely vivox. I deleted all vivox files I could find in pubg and verified files, but it didn't fix anything.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube