PCPartPicker

• Register

What anti-virus to get? Just finished first build.

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

cryohawk 5 months ago

Ok so I finished my first build and after installing all my drivers Norton was installed. Now I also get McAfee free from my cable provider but was wondering if there are any better ones out there that i should really look into?

Comments Sorted by:

Captaincow285 3 points 5 months ago

Get rid of McAfee. Norton is Ok, but Kapersky is the best.

Also, keep Malwarebytes Free on hand. No protection is provided, but it has an awesome scanner that is considered industry-leading.

whirichardson 1 point 5 months ago

Amen on Malwarebytes just used it to clean my gf's Chrome of hijacked search add-on.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 1 point 5 months ago

Norton is Ok

I actually hadn't had experience with Norton for several years because at that point they were awful. But, the other day I saw them reviewed as 10/10 alongside Bitdefender and Kaspersky. Anyone know if they are actually decent again?

TheShadowGuy 1 point 5 months ago

Supposedly they are, but after how horrible they were it is hard to bring myself to try again- especially given the lack of a free version.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 1 point 5 months ago

3 PC OS's were wiped thanks to Norton...******* Norton.

acs590 2 points 5 months ago

The one I would recommend would be Kaspersky, we have had for like 11 years, and it has never, even slightly, let us down.

ImperiousBattlestar 2 points 5 months ago

That's a government level matter. Consumers can stil use it, no matter what.

Allan_M_Systems 1 point 5 months ago

The government matter has its reasons. Those reasons, combined with other considerations, are enough reason for me not to want to use it on a personal computer.

ImperiousBattlestar 3 points 5 months ago

But that's just you, I guess?

Allan_M_Systems 0 points 5 months ago

Well, it's definitely not you.

You can do whatever you want with your antivirus. Doesn't bother me a bit. I'm just pointing out that Kaspersky isn't currently trusted by US government to secure its computers. You can do whatever you want with that information. Seems like you've chosen to take it as some sort of point to be argued against, which makes no sense at all.

TheShadowGuy 2 points 5 months ago

Norton doesn't offer a free version as far as I am aware, so you probably have a trial. McAfee for free is OK (it tests about where Windows Defender is at in Win10, but has a few more features), but I'd look toward other more protective options. Bitdefender is fairly simple, Kaspersky Free is a bit more full featured. There are a number of other good ones out there as well, and if you wanted features of a paid solution, there are even more options.

thedukeanator13 1 Build 2 points 5 months ago

Kaspersky and Bitdefender are the best overall

Malwarebytes is also very good (but it's not meant to replace e antivirus).

T_Payne 2 points 5 months ago

I agree. I switched to Bitdefender 2 years ago, and I have been very happy with their Total Security package.

thedukeanator13 1 Build 2 points 5 months ago

Yeah I used to use Kaspersky, but I switched to Bitdefender in November (2017) and love it. The user interface is more refined, and my performance doesn't take as much of a hit. I was reading a few articles and they say Kaspersky and Bitdefender are about in par in terms of detection and false positives so I definitely am sticking with Bitdefender.

Allan_M_Systems 2 points 5 months ago

I don't advise bothering with anything more than WIndows Defender. It is pretty light weight, non-intrusive, and about 98% as good as any of the 3rd party stuff for most users.

Personally, I find the premise of a 3rd party anti-virus to be shady. The business model of an anti-virus demands that there be viruses to protect against. There's too much incentive for these companies to have virus development in their back pocket.

MarkoPT 1 Build 2 points 5 months ago

I would recommend Kaspersky partnered with Malwarebytes (free version). You can head over to AVTest and have a look around. McAfee hits you hard on performance so I'd say stay away. I've had Norton in the past for years, I loved it, but it was so trigger happy with every little thing so I decided to change, and now use Kaspersky.

Acevpn 1 point 5 months ago

Avast, Kaspersky, & Webroot all of these fall under the best antivirus.

JCMsergox 4 Builds 1 point 5 months ago

Personally, I use Norton. I haven't had issues with it and it certainly does keep my computer well-protected. I'd recommend doing a little bit of research and read some reviews on a few different programs. It seems like a lot of people use Kaspersky, but Norton is what my family have always used.

pegotico 2 Builds 1 point 5 months ago

Avira, Kaspersky or Bitdefender....

Jack_Heywood 1 Build 1 point 5 months ago

I use Avira personally. No issues for a good 2 years now.

TurboSonic 1 point 5 months ago

Common sense is your anti virus

LostElement 4 Builds 1 point 5 months ago

AVG Anti-Virus free version is enough. Malwarebytes and SpyBot.

Don't get Norton, Kasperky, McAfee, or those. They're pretty useless.

In all honestly, don't visit sketchy sites or download anything suspicious. Windows Defender is enough when you pair it with Malwarebyes and Spybot.

Nick-Pirlo 1 point 5 months ago

Most of the big anti virus programs are just so clunky and intrusive, like pop up ads on your desktop. Avira Pro is what I use since it's very lightweight and stays out of your way until you need it. Malwarebytes is also useful in case you mess up when downloading freeware and install those terrible toolbars that just won't go away.

Nothing beats common sense though.

LoneCrusader 1 Build 1 point 5 months ago

Everybody is going to have a different experience with Anti-Virus software as it's all subjective. So far the best I've used is Webroot Secure Anywhere. Over the course of about 10 years I've used Norton, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, and now Webroot which is by far the best I've had.

igrek 1 Build 1 point 5 months ago
GrandKw 0 points 5 months ago

I stick with 0 antivirus.

[comment deleted]