add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Computer Buzzing, cannot identify where or how to solve it.

FatherRodin

25 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/FatherRodin/saved/#view=jpFMnQ

Sometimes it would be reasonable for it to make the noise, for example when I play a more taxing game it would buzz a bit in the beginning, but then adjust and stop being noisy. However, from spring to fall of 2017, I've really never even had any issues. Now, the computer buzzes at the mere use of a browser, and I've used those browsers for awhile without any issue unless I have too many tabs open.

I opened it up and gave every area a good dusting, including the stock heat sink. When I had it on last night, it was fine. But today after a couple of hours while I was browsing, the noise started. Part of me thinks it is due to the cold weather. Now I can't open a browser without suffering from the noise, and it doesn't even go away after awhile. Strangely, I can still play games just fine on it.

No idea what the problem is. If I had to make a guess it would be the stock fan, since this was my first built PC and I was too nervous to go with an aftermarket. Still, it shouldn't be noisy when its a measly browser with only one tab open. Any advice?

Note: the build I posted has an SSD, but that died in about a year so I'm currently using my HDD for the OS.

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I would check the optical drive, the fan, and the power supply in that order. If it's the stock fan that's the issue, unfortunately you can't do much about it except replace it.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I already mentioned that I dusted all the fans, the power supply, and the heat sink. The optical sometimes makes a noise different from the one I'm talking about, though right now it isn't.

I just got done playing some Overwatch and it only buzzed in the beginning, but was quiet after. That's so weird how it makes more noise on internet browsers with only one tab than it does a modern game that actually requires effort to run. (I play on higher settings)

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

You have to reply to my comment so I get a notification!

Alright, so from that you know it's not the optical drive. I should have been a tad clearer, but I meant to check your fans to see if any cables are in the way, and if there's nothing then try using a different power supply and see if that helps.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

@Nightrook

Nothing really was in the way, and everything was recently dusted, and I don't have an extra power-supply. However, there is something interesting that I've noticed.

I never mentioned this, but I have my desktop sitting on a flat cardboard box covering a carpet. The reason is the computer I had before this was on the carpet and accumulated a lot of dust, (not to mention the room next door is where I do laundry) Anyway, it was buzzing a couple minute ago, and then I lifted it up and suddenly it stopped depending on its position.

You see, the case has a small dust filter literally on the bottom back side of the case that covers the power supply. What I'm thinking is that maybe if I get a small table to balance it on will help that area be more free, and possibly end this silly little issue once and for all.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha I'm glad you figured out a possible fix then.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube