add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Are these normal temps for CPU?

FRin323
  • 26 months ago

So I recently moved apartments for the first time and there is the possibility that the movers may have unplugged my machine while it was in a sleep state. Since then, I can hear my fans spin up louder/faster than normal. (Even my bios boot screen gives me an error that my CPU temp is too high. When I enter BIOS, I see that the CPU temp is sitting in the high 70's Celsius.) So I took a screenshot of the CPUID monitor. Correct me if I'm wrong but these are a bit too high, right? This is taken during some a couple of windows tabs opened. As you can see, they had hit 100 Celsius too.)

Imgur Link

Here is my PC Build: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $201.00
Motherboard Asus - PRIME Z270-AR ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $160.00
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Purchased For $134.00
Storage Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $95.00
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $50.00
Video Card Asus - Radeon RX 480 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card Purchased For $245.00
Case Phanteks - Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case Purchased For $160.00
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $80.00
Optical Drive Asus - BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $55.00
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit Purchased For $102.00
Case Fan NZXT - Aer RGB140 (3-pack) 71.6 CFM 140mm Fans Purchased For $86.00
Monitor Samsung - C34F791 34.0" 3440x1440 100Hz Monitor Purchased For $854.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2222.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-04 01:19 EST-0500

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 4 points

Odds are the cooler got knocked loose during the move. Remove the cooler, re apply thermal paste and put the cooler back on. Turn the computer on with the side panel off. Check to make sure fan is moving. If the cooler is seated properly and the fan is working your temps should not be as high as they are.

• 26 months ago
  • 3 points

Would be my bet too. Occam's Razor and all that - this happened following a move. The push-pin securing method used by the Intel standard cooler is not as solid as bolt through systems used by after market coolers.

You will want to at the very least ensure all the push pins are correctly secured. Ideally you should remove the cooler, check for damage on the securing pins, and then refit with new thermal compound. If there is damage like one of the pins has snapped off or something then get a cheap aftermarket one.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

You are correct, good sir! But I wouldn't have found out if people wouldn't have suggested reapplying the thermal paste. Or maybe I didn't fasten it on tight when I first built this.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Good news it's something simple! It's possible they weren't installed properly. One thing to note (if you hadn't worked it out) is the pins only lock properly when they are turned fully to the clockwise position. If they aren't in the locked position then you can just pull them out again with light pressure... I've always found the arrow logo on them confusing as it doesn't indicate whether it's to lock or unlock them. It's to unlock them.

Something worth doing if you have access to the rear of the motherboard is to just double check the pins are fully through.

PS just found this - https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005852/processors.html

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

those are temps are too high did you overclock the cpu?

maybe you should get a aftermarket cooler.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

No, it's not overclocked. I'm sure it wasn't this bad before so I'm not sure what may have caused this. Is there any troubleshooting I could do?

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

check that the fan is properly on the cpu or maybe re apply the thermal paste and remove any dust inside the case

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 26 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah that is really bad, the max any cpu should go is 90C and thats still really high. You should definitely get a better cooler before you damage it.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn't have a cooler. What's worrying me is that it's doing this with some light web browsing. So even if I did put a cooler on it, I think it would just be a band aid on a bigger problem

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

It doesn't have a cooler.

well, there you go, put a cooler on it (with thermal paste)

Any cooler will do (even 5$ ones)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uBNCN6v_gk#t=1m15s

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

It has the stock cooler that came with it. But I haven’t bought one for it.

https://imgur.com/a/K02wE

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, you can't be using it without a cooler. Like thats seriously bad. Every cpu needs a cooler, its not optional. I thought you had atleast a stock cooler on. You need to buy a cooler. I wouldn't use your computer again till you have one, it can seriously damage your hardware.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I do have one. It has a stock one. I thought people were talking about a cpu cooler one that wasn’t the stock one.

[comment deleted]
  • 26 months ago
  • 1 point

It has one. But it’s just the stock one.

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

I ran into a similar problem, though less severe. My CPU was sitting at about 50C idle, which was way over what it should've been. You can either go into your BIOS and change your CPU fan speeds, or send the CPU back, as it could be a problem with the CPU itself. Though, I would wait and try other options before you do that.

• 26 months ago
  • 2 points

Even with the stock cooler that is way too hot. Is the stock cooler plugged in? There's a chance the stock cooler make have just died (or the header it's plugged into doesn't work). Check your fan curve and make sure the couch fan in on (after making sure it is plugged in, and that it runs). If you can't get it to work, literally spend 10-15$ on a cheap cooler before your CPU is destroyed (Or buy a nice 30$ cooler and let it blast through the heat).

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Here it is while streaming a YouTube video. Fans started spinning up again:

https://imgur.com/a/3nDPI

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Problem resolved. Turns out some of the push-pins on the CPU cooler were loose. Applied new thermal paste anyway and now she's running smooth.

https://imgur.com/a/ygo0z

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

are those idle temps? heck of a difference from what you had. Surprised you didnt have a shut down at 212 F temps

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube