add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cannot update Windows7 PC. Windows10 continues to attempt install despite fully removing Win10.

cruznick06
  • 25 months ago

Alright. So I have reached a rather pathetic point of desperation. I am knowledgeable enough when it comes to software/hardware to be able to troubleshoot most basic problems. But this has been something I cannot resolve myself for nearly a year and a half.

Windows10 attempted to forcibly install (without my express permission, it was activated with a security update) and nearly bricked my already very unstable laptop in August of 2016. I managed to restore my computer to July 2016. I removed as much of the Windows10 software as I knew how to, using a then available tool from Microsoft and going so far as to manually delete specific updates within windows updater. I have since been unable to update my operating system without my computer trying and failing to install Windows10. I have contacted Microsoft Support more times than I can count attempting to find a resolution to this problem. This would not be as big of a problem if I still had my backup system images from June of 2016 or even February of 2016 but they were ruined when my house flooded. I do have the out-of-box system image from 2012 but would rather not us it if I don't have to. I don't think I have an external large enough for everything on this machine. All vital data has been backed up on an external, I just really do not want to reinstall and recover everything else if I don't have to. Any suggestions would be welcome.

At this point I know my computer is one of the most insecure devices in my household, worse so than my old XP machine because at least that one is never used wirelessly. (Or even with internet anymore, I have it for nostalgia/legacy software.) I need to update this machine even knowing that I will likely stop using it within the next 6 months as I would like to maybe salvage it for use as a DVD/Media player in the future. Honestly with the hell this poor machine has been through it blows me away that its still functioning as well as it is. It is indeed a toaster, but it is currently the only computer I have reliable access too. I AM planning a custom desktop build but I have been taking my time to save up for the components and also just fully decide what I want it to be capable of. Thank you for taking the time to read all of this.

Additional information: Toshiba Satellite P855-S5200 Intel i7-3610QM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

All vital data has been backed up on an external, I just really do not want to reinstall and recover everything else if I don't have to.

Unfortunately it sounds very much like that is what you are going to have to do. You said the laptop was unstable before doing the restore, it is likely your only real option is to start fresh with Windows 7 or 10.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Its was unstable due to hardware damage that you cannot fix without taking the whole machine apart. I slipped on ice while at college and it just happened to be right after the warranty expired. My school refused to take any responsibility despite it being a location that I and others had reported multiple times for being a hazard. The fact that it still functions with a loose connection between the motherboard and hard drive amazes me. As does the fact the screen is somehow undamaged and the "worst" of the damage is aesthetic to the casing.

The biggest issue pre-win10 trying to install was that sometimes it wouldn't boot correctly, due to the mentioned loose connection. Once booted it had no problems with software or the OS aside from a few blips that were just minor compatibility issues. Sigh. I may just invest in another external and shove everything onto it. I know it would all fit on a terabyte.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

It might be worth trying to fix the loose connection. Have you opened anything up to investigate what is loose? If not you may just need to re-seat the HDD.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I basically re-seat the hard drive when it acts up. Shut it down, disconnect power, take out battery, and flip it over a couple of times. My co-workers when I did tech support called it the Nintendo Method. (Which is pretty true.) As for fixing the issue permanently, to get to the connection I would have to take apart most of the laptop. If it wasn't 20+ steps to get to it I already would have done it.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, 20 plus steps or new laptop? It sounds like you broke a solder point on one of the connection. Really once you get to it not to hard to fix.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

We tried at my old job, it really wasn't worth it. I know that sounds stupid but when the 20+ steps involves removing components that were glued into the case then things get tricky and you risk damaging them. Its like how Apple loves to make their computers hell to take apart.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube